I saw this shirt in the Mini Boden catalog with the monster applique and thought it was cute and something my boys would be excited to wear, but I didn't want to pay $28 per shirt, so I decided to try to make my own.
Here's how I did it and I've said it a million times, but believe me, if I could do it, you can, too!
1. You need a plain t-shirt (between $2 & $5 at Old Navy, Target, or Michaels).
2. Create a monster shape template (Click here to get to a pdf version of the monster template I made: Monster Template).
3. Cut out the monster shape from some fabric and use Heat n' Bond or something similar to iron the fabric onto your shirt.
4. Sew around the edge of the monster shape with just a basic straight stitch, go slow so you can follow close to the edge (the raw fabric edge will fray a bit when washed but that adds to the character of the monster).
5. Use felt or fabric scraps to embellish the monster with eyes and a mouth. Sew these on with the sewing machine or hand stitching for small pieces.
Then you're done!!
I really like how they turned out and best of all, my boys did too!