Sunday, March 28, 2010

The post that is NOT about shoes

It's Not Me! Monday (a blog carnival created by MckMama; you can head over to her blog to read what she and everyone else have NOT been doing - but really have!)

On Friday, I did NOT finally get so tired of picking my 1st grader (who knows how to tie his shoe laces, but just often chooses not to) up at school to find his shoes like this:

that I said, "That's it! We are going back to Velcro shoes!"

My son is actually thrilled with his new tennis shoes/water sandals, so it's a win for everyone! (I'm sure his teacher was tired of seeing him with his shoes untied all day, too!)


We did NOT have a conversation that went like this:
Me: "Doesn't it bother you having your laces flapping around every time you walk?"
7 year old: looks at me confused as if he can't understand why that would bother anyone
Me: "Well, it bothers
me when your laces are flapping around like that!"

And while I'm denying things, that afternoon when I had all 3 of my children in the Stride Rite store, there is NO WAY each of them measured a full one to one & a half size larger than the shoes they wore into the store. As a mother, I am totally on top of my kids' foot growth and never let them wear shoes that are too small to the point that one of my children looked worried when trying on a shoe that actually fit and said, "It feels funny!" and I had to explain that it would feel different but your toe is not actually supposed to be up against the front of your shoes. NOPE, NOT ME!!

And since I truly am a lover of the $15 Target shoes over the Stride Rite shoes, there is NO WAY Stride Rite won me over with their "Buy one pair, get one half off sale" to the point that I actually wished we already had our 4th child because once we picked out a pair of shoes for all 3 of my kids, I had to go and buy my daughter a 2nd pair of shoes to really maximize the sale!

And my final shoe confession: When my 4 year old daughter desperately wanted to wear her new white sandals to church this morning, I did NOT refuse to let her and say, "You can't wear white shoes before Easter!" Seriously, I would NEVER follow such an arbitrary fashion rule!

And when she asked why her little brother got to wear his new sandals when she couldn't wear hers, I did NOT answer, "Well, his sandals are brown, and that's a year 'round color."

Find more Mama Guilt Mondays here.

7 comments:

  1. I gave up on tie shoes for Andrew and went to velcro too......it's just less to stress about!

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha I enjoyed this. Velcro is just too good to pass up. Sometimes I wish I had some too. And thanks for the tip on the sale at Stride rite. I do love that store, but the prices are bad. But both grandbabies are in need AGAIN...I see a trip over there this week happening. Have a wonderful day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha ha ha! Too funny!

    We love Stride Rite! Yes, they're expensive, but they last! Since I have two boys, my littler boy is getting all my older boys' hand me downs and they are in great shape. So in a way, I guess I am saving money!

    Thanks for linking up and sharing your story!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Too funny, I was laughing through your whole post. We have no Stride Rite, but after reading your post, I want one!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are hilarious! Let the poor girl wear her white shoes! It's Texas...and it's plenty warm enough (or is that just my pregnancy hormones making me sweat?).

    ReplyDelete
  6. Haha, poor girl. That's hilarious, and something I would totally say.

    You can't risk getting them dirty, right?!?!? Haha.

    Thanks for your great "Not Me" post :)

    http://thedaysofasahm.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just the laugh I needed today! That last paragraph is priceless!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you think!