Monday, November 15, 2010

When You Do Have All the Answers

I choke up on the thought that because of this, this one decision, his whole life will be different, the pessimist wants me to wonder if he really gets it, if he really means, “Jesus I give you my life.” Or if he’s just saying the words that seem right to say.

I know it will be a journey, the journey of a lifetime, this walk between the Lord and my now 7 year old boy. There will likely be times they walk closely together and times my son runs ahead too far or lags behind.

But this is one area in parenting, the only area, where I do have all the answers. And they are absolutes, they are true, and I believe them beyond a shadow of a doubt. There are so many uncertainties in this life, so much room for debate, so many times I honestly need to answer, "I don't know."

But this much I know, and am so grateful to be able to tell my son, "Jesus loves you. He loved you before you were even born, He created you. He died for your sins. He wants to have a relationship with you, but you have to make that choice. He's not going to choose for you. You only have to ask once and really mean it. Sure, you'll mess up, and you'll need to ask for forgiveness, but you'll never need to ask Him into your life again. . . "

I’m just so thankful to have a loving, all-powerful God and Father to lead my son to. Grateful that although I have no idea what his life has in store, God is good and he’s got my son right in his grasp. I’m grateful to know the end even while the middle has yet to unfold. And I wonder what it is like for parents that don’t have that.

What do they give their children -- what hope, what guidance, what legacy, what purpose, what truth, what eternity, what assurance?


Find more Tuesdays Unwrapped here.

4 comments:

  1. It is so reassuring to know that we can trust God to save our children. He wants to do it. He is pursuing them. We do our part in sharing the GOOD news & he will work on their hearts to draw them close.

    Came over from Heavenly Homemakers--so glad I did. Good reminder of what is important today!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I often feel when I am reading your blog that you are me MANY years ago...I can soo relate to what you are feeling for your kids. I remember when each of them got saved and knowing the LONG winding road ahead that awaited them. Wondering how many times that they might do just that. Get ahead of Him, lag behind, or worse yet rebel altogether. But I told myself the very same thing. He wouldn't change, wouldn't hurry, wouldn't lag, and best yet would NEVER let go. I will tell you this, everyone of my kids at one point or another, to one degree or another, did all of those things INCLUDING rebel altogether. I just kept praying. And everyone of them has come back. The verse Proverbs 22:6 Train up a child in the way he should go, And when he is old he will not depart from it...was what I clung to and it ended up being soo true. And how could it not be? Now truthfully my middle son still has a way to go. He can't ever seem to just settle in and let Him be Lord. But it will come. And if not, then my son will just make his own life more difficult than it needs to be, but He will never let go. Have a wonderful day....HUGS

    ReplyDelete
  3. this is beautiful. i really love each word you wrote and totally agree. i needed this reminder today.

    ReplyDelete
  4. very encouraging post...Just the encouragement that I needed today too. thank you

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you think!