Thursday, May 3, 2012

Friday, Friday, Friday, Friday, Friday!

I promise I'm not to going complain about how busy the week was and whine about wanting summer to get here so we can quit running around like crazy people!  But, I will admit that we've had hot dogs for dinner not once, but twice this week!  Y'all, I never make hot dogs (okay maybe 3 or 4 times a year), typically opting for something more healthy to cook for my family, but all four my kids love them and they are so easy to boil and just put onto buns!  Yeah, it was that kind of week.

______________________

I usually make my kids take their sheets off their beds and bring them to the laundry room when I wash sheets, but this week the kids were so busy, I stripped the beds myself one day while the two older, top-bunk sleeping kids were at school.  

When I crawled up onto my 6-year-old daughter's top bunk, I was totally overwhelmed with the amount of stuff up there!  I've never seen an episode of the TV show Hoaders, but I've heard friends talk about it enough to fear my daughter could be a candidate for the show!

I stuck everything in a laundry basket and am going to make her go through it all this weekend, I already broke the news to her that she just could not keep that much stuff in her bed!

The stuff filled up the entire basket and overflowed onto the floor!  Many stuffed animals, several dolls, 10 to 20 books, a frog beach ball, a foam rocket-launcher she got from treasure at school, various bead jewelry pieces she made with our bead kit, paper bag puppets she made last week, a snow globe, and on and on it goes!


 Peeling off the top layer so you can see a bit underneath:


I suspect what is really going on here has a little something to do with that 6-year-old's desire to keep these things away from a certain 3-year-old little sister she shares a room with.  A 3-year-old I don't allow up on the top bunk!

But, that 6-year-old does have a fairly good sized "treasure box" I've allowed her to keep some prized possessions in and I don't let her little sister get in that box!  The treasure box is overflowing, so I think it's time for another discussion about cleaning-out.  Maybe I can even throw in a little Bible verse about storing up our treasures in heaven rather than on earth (Matt 6:19-20)!  Wish me luck with this intervention!

______________________ 

Have I ever mentioned how many times each day I hear one of my kids say, "Mom or Mommy"?  I've never really counted, but it's gotta be close to eleventy-billion!  Typically I love it, I mean it is such a blessing to get to be their Mommy, but sometimes (like when 3 or 4 of them are saying it at the same time from different regions of the house), it kinda can drive me nuts!  So, this week when Little Girl made up a song with the Lyrics, "Mommy, Mommy, Mommy, Mommy, Mommy, Mommy," just to sing for fun, I was less than enthused.  Does it make me a bad person if I suggested to her that maybe the song, "Doggy, Doggy, Doggy, Doggy" would be a better one to sing?  Probably.  Yes, I feel sure the answer to that question is "yes".

______________________ 

Happy Friday, Friends! 


Mommy's Idea

9 comments:

  1. You are very busy! :) Hi. Happy Friday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck on getting your daughter to get rid of anything. I remember my bed used to be covered with stuffed animals--now there's only one big turtle on it during the day--Zippy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, it's a wonder your daughter had any room to sleep! I think you are right, she is keeping it away from the little one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. hugs -hope you and your daughter can reach a compromise

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm pretty impressed that you changed the sheets - - -

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ha ha! I can totally relate - my 5 year old sleeps with approximately a bazillion things in his top bunk, too! It's such a pain when I try to change sheets! And I hear you on the "Mommy mommy mommy" thing too. You are right - such a blessing (but it's nice to get a break from it time & again!)

    ReplyDelete
  7. She is probably just trying to protect her stuff from little hands. Perhaps give her a storage cabinet with a 'lock' for her most precious items.

    ReplyDelete
  8. First picture; aw, stuffed animals in the bed, what's the deal?
    Second picture: Ok that is too much stuff.
    But I think she is trying to keep it away from little sister.
    Busy mom tip: In the microwave hotdogs cook even faster!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I always had to share a room with a sister and I know my older sister kept her things hidden (she thought) from me! :) You are very busy and I love hot dogs anyway! It's been a while since I've had kids at home to call me but even now if I'm in the store and a child says mama, I turn instinctively!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you think!