Thursday, June 28, 2012

Do I have to title this?

I had a date tonight with my 9 year old son.  We hit the fine arts museum on the evening it's open until 9pm, which also happens to be the free admission day (you can't beat that awesomeness!) and a stop for ice cream after.  It was such a joy to do a big kid activity with just my oldest child without worrying about the little ones running or yelling or otherwise wreaking havoc!  The only immaturity of the evening was me whispering to him in front of a painting, "Now, seriously, your little brother could have painted that!  How is that fine art?"

________________________

Yesterday I ordered 12 photo albums.  Empty albums.  That I will need to fill.  With the past 10 to 12 years of our lives.  

Woo hoo!  I'm excited about that project!  NOT!  Which is why it hasn't gotten done since roughly year 2000.  But, it's been hanging over my head.  And really, I'd be totally fine with only digital albums, but my husband and I agree the kids would really enjoy hard copy family albums to look at.  OH MY WORD AT THE GUILT!  So, yeah, finally time to prioritize the task.  Step 1 complete:  Purchase many matching photo albums - check!  Kinda hoping those albums get lost in the mail and never actually arrive here so I don't have to proceed to step 2!  And as I think about it, I can't help hearing my own voice saying to my children, "Sometimes we have to do things we don't want to do."

________________________ 

The other day I was reading something to Little Girl (home from Ethiopia 6 months now) and it became pretty clear that she didn't know what a scarf was.  So, I got some out to illustrate.  Here she and the 9 year old are rocking some scarfs on a day with a heat index of 105 degrees!


________________________

We went out for ice cream as a family to celebrate this milestone (and also because the kids had earned free ice cream coupons from the library summer reading challenge).   My other kids deemed the 5 year old "Messiest Person Alive".  


At least we took him for ice cream in his swim suit and swim shirt, that chocolate just rinsed right out!

________________________ 

 I know, I know.  I didn't blog last night, so there was nothing new to read today, on a day of the week I typically have new content.  We've been doing a whole lot of this the past month:


 The middle of this week we wrapped up the swim team season, so we are all tired.  And really ready to enjoy these next several weeks of no school commitments or sports commitments!  So, my blogging schedule may be a little more unpredictable for the next few weeks as we relax and have fun and hopefully get some productive things accomplished, too. Is there really a way to intermingle those 3 things -- relax, fun, productive?  I intend to try!

________________________

Happy Friday, Friends!

7 comments:

  1. Precious photos, I especially love the scarves picture!

    Yes, do the albums. And matching books are a great idea. Back in the day, I would buy only two at a time, and they look so bad now, all mismatched, that I keep them hidden in a cupboard. Hm, maybe one day I'll buy a set of matching albums. It's not too late...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovin' the scarves on a 105 degree day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I feel your pain with the albums.....and I hate to break it to you, but 12 is probably not enough....yikes! I started putting ours in albums in chronological order (not an easy task as we are a blended family!) and pretty soon just started putting them in in any order! I just turned around to the bookcase and counted 33 albums. So, good luck!

    I love the scarves too!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My "gift" to myself at Disney last week was their Deluxe Scrapbook kit. I will get back on top of this...I will... OY!

    Swim team is one thing we don't so...it's too much, but I do need to get my kids some lessons... they are both good swimmers, but I'd like them to learn the strokes.

    And that's my kind of immaturity and a totally valid art critique!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I find it funny that just when I finish school and therefore have time to bop around the blogosphere, I find so many people doing the opposite :)

    Happy for your son...I'm sure he will remember his one-on-one time fondly.

    Good luck with those albums. I can't stand that stuff, either.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you think!