Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Giving My Children Omega 3 Fish Oil

Let me start off by saying I am not a medical doctor.  I am just a mom of 4 kids.  I happen to hold a degree in biomedical science so I think I drive my kids' doctors a little nuts with my extra-detailed questions and independent research I do regarding a medical issue one of my children may be having.  But, please do not take what I am about to say as a prescription for your particular child, only you and your child's doctor should decide what is best for your child, I am just sharing what works for us and what makes sense to me as a scientist and a mom.

I give my 4 children ranging in ages from 11 years old to 5 years old, omega 3 fish oil pills.  The reasons for this are varied.

It started a few years back when I began suffering with multiple basal cell skin cancers.  I asked my dermatologist if there was anything I could do to help or if my fate just rested on too much sun exposure as a teenager and I was doomed to having skin cancers cut off for the rest of my life.  She told me I needed to boost my immune system to be able to fight off these cancers and taking daily fish oil pills is one of things she recommended.  Then she told me she even gives her children fish oil pills, just a children's version, because it is so good to help kids ward off colds.

I had also read about fish oil during our adoption training in the book The Connected Child: Bring hope and healing to your adoptive family.  It highlights research that suggests omega-3 supplements can reduce symptoms of anxiety, impulsivity, inattention, cognitive problems, and learning problems in children. And that kids on the supplements in the studies were less emotionally volatile.  I figured we needed all the help we could get with those issues and started our little girl adopted from Ethiopia on fish oil supplements as soon as we got her home.

It has been 3 years now that I have been taking fish oil pills (an adult version) and my children have been taking fish oil.  I truly believe it has helped my allergies.  I have to take Zyrtec a whole lot less than I used to.  Also, my older daughter used to have to use her inhaler pretty frequently for wheezing but since starting on fish oil, she nearly never needs her inhaler.  When I discussed my theory with the allergist, he said there have been some studies indicating that fish oil may be beneficial for allergies, but nothing has been definitively proven.  He did encourage me to continue the supplements, though!

I also feel like fish oil supplements can help with ADD symptoms and would certainly rather my kids be on a supplement like omega 3 rather than ADD medications!

Beware because not all Fish Oil pills are created equal.  There is a wide range of DHA and EPA that are actually present in the supplement, so read your labels carefully!

This is the supplement I give my kids: 


 The DHA content is 100mg which is so much better than most of the rest of the kid omega-3s.  Also, I've tried some that have a taste my kids complain about, but they really like these.  They are easily chewed up so no drama if you have kids that can't swallow pills.  And, there is no fishy odor!

Anyone else tried giving your kids omega 3 fish oil supplements?  What kind do you use?  Have you noticed results?
 
***Disclaimer: I am an Amzaon.com affiliate and will earn a small portion of the sale if you use a link within my blog to purchase a product, however I only recommend things we truly use in my home and would recommend to friends!***

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear what you think!