Thursday, June 12, 2014

Making Her Hair Dreams Come True

Last week I said that Little Girl had requested a mohawk sprayed with colorful hair paint for crazy hair day at our VBS.  If you have ever been in a vicinity of 50 feet from my little girl then you know that she is a girl who knows what she wants, is not afraid to ask for it (loudly) and keeps asking until she gets it.  As soon as she learned about the crazy hair day theme she made her hair desires very clear to me.

Well.  Let me tell you I had literally 25 minutes from the time Little Girl got out of the water after swim team practice to get her bathed, dressed for VBS, and also make her hair dreams come true.  And I really was not even quite sure HOW I was going to get Little Girl's hair into a mohawk!  Talk about tricky!

But, thankfully a great idea came to me to put her hair in 4 different little ponytails along the middle of her head and it ended up working perfectly to create the mohawk look.

Then I spray painted the mohawk with purple spray paint because why not?  Crazy Hair Day at VBS is the kids one day out of the year to have a wacky hair style, so go big or go home, right?!!


Several people at VBS told Little Girl how great her hair was and moms were asking me how I did it -- ha!

My other 2 VBS kids sporting their versions of crazy hair (notice the 3 different colors of hair paint - pink, purple and blue - where did these high-maintenance children come from?):


My oldest had water day at VBX that day and wore his swim suit and swim shirt.

It was  about half-way through the morning at VBS while I was helping forty 2nd graders with a craft that I realized I planned to run by Trader Joe's for a few key items (like Ethiopian coffee -- we CANNOT run out of coffee) on the way home from VBS and I'd have to take my 3 crazy hair kids plus my 1 kid in dressed in a swim suit into the store with me!  Talk about a spectacle!

But, I did not want to go home, get everyone cleaned up, and go back out again!  Also, I remembered that I have no pride remaining when it comes to being out and about with my kids and people staring or thinking weird things about me, so I took them into the store and we walked around as if there was nothing unusual!  A store employee told my little kids they had "cool hair"!

Thankfully that hair paint washed out on the first try!
_________________________

This week with VBS over, Camp Mom has been in full swing.  And remember from last summer I explained Camp Mom is not where I go to camp and get to sleep in and have manicures and pedicures and massages.  No, Camp Mom is where I attempt to entertain/occupy my 4 children during various weeks of their summer break instead of sending them to camp I have to pay for, to be enterained/occupied by someone else.

We've done science experiments, like this one where you sprinkle ice cubes with salt to get them to stick to a piece of yarn.


A perk about going to Camp Mom is that jammies are totally acceptable attire and even encouraged -- less wash to do!!

We've gone to a free play put on at our local outdoor theater, we ate lunch while watching a movie at a movie grill place, we've gone to the library and signed up for the summer reading program, we've done some handwriting practice and a bit of schoolwork to keep everyone fresh over the summer!

Then today at Camp Mom, my kids were able to assist and witness a surgery!  "Beary" had a large gash in his side that needed several stitches:


A needle and thread fixed him right up.  The 11 year old insisted on taking pictures!.

Beary is now resting comfortably in the 5 year old's bed.

I'm ready for some rest now.  Early swim team practices combined with being all on all day with my four kids plus one night my husband was out of town have left me a little worn out!

Happy Friday and Happy Father's Day to all the dads in your life!



Half-Past Kissin' Time

6 comments:

  1. Love your Mom camp. I know my grandchildren would love it as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Four kids will keep you busy! Imagine what it'll be like when they are adults wih families of their own!

    It's my summer now, too. I'm really looking forward to my great nieces and nephew to stay with me for a week (hubs travels during the week). I'm sure we'll keep busy, too, and I have some crafts lined up for rainy days.

    It's always great to hear from you :) Thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Of course you should take your four kids with the wild hair with you into Trader Joe's. I would think it was neat to see a family that loves each other so much to be wacky together. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like your summer is off to a great start! We enjoyed lots of 'camp mom' type activities when our 5 were little. Great memories!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I will be having Mom-Mom camp for 3 weeks this summer. You have given me a few great ideas:)
    My grandkids are still in school until the 20th. ugghh.
    I love the hair!!
    doreenmcgettigan.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. the pict of your little girl's mohawk made me smile

    happy fathers day!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you think!