Thursday, May 19, 2011

One man's trash is my little girl's treasure!

My 5 year old daughter loves hunting for "treasures," you know random things she finds on the ground that most people would call "trash". She's had some really exciting finds on the playground at her school this year, like the time she found a deflated balloon! A balloon that I wouldn't let her attempt to blow up (so mean of me, I know!). "Why not, Mommy?" she asked. "Because we do not put our mouths on balloons we find on the ground," I replied. I file that one in with many, many other life lessons I never imagined I'd have to teach my children, but would just be obvious. Don't even get me started on the, "We don't lie down on the floor in a public restroom!" I mean, seriously!!!

But, back to the "treasures". My daughter was changing out of her school clothes one day this week and a ton of random junk, I mean "treasure," came tumbling out of her pockets onto my freshly vacuumed floor!
A water bottle cap, a sticker, some rocks, a button, some string, a colored popsicle stick, and a dirty straw! Awesome!!!!

My little girl who goes to school nearly every day in a dress or skirt with a bow or bows in her hair comes home with pockets or a backpack full of trash!!

________________

When we had a family outing to one of those frozen yogurt places where you get to choose your own toppings and then pay by the weight, that same little girl picked out mint chocolate cookie flavored frozen yogurt with the following toppings: fruity pebbles cereal, cinnamon toast crunch cereal, oreos, and gummy worms!
________________

I overheard my 8 year old son describing the concept of an umbilical cord to my 4 year old, "It's a black rope that goes from a baby to the mommy and the baby eats through it."

I'm sure he thinks it's black because he has memories from when he was 4 and the now 4 year old was a newborn with that black stump on his belly button!

________________

Hope your weekend is full of treasures!


Mommy's Idea

9 comments:

  1. Those toppings sound good to me! Funny what junk attracts kids! Maybe you have a future pack rat on your hands.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love to see what fascinates my kids. Sounds like your princess is a creative soul.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like my son's pockets. It's always something borderline "eeewww"

    I love hearing kids explanations of things we take for granted.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So cool that your daughter likes to collect things. I have 2 little girls and they don't do this, but my boys do.

    have a super weekend

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOL at lessons you never thought you'd have to actually teach to your children. I don't have kids yet, but having been a teacher for a number of years, I totally know what you mean.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love her treasures! Except for the icky ones, of course. Once we took a walk with my friend's daughter and suddenly she started blowing a whistle. She had picked something up off of the ground and started blowing into it. It was a plastic cigar tip! I almost threw up right on the spot. (don't tell your kids, but they make great whistles! *GAG*)
    I am still explaining things to my 11 year old son that I never thought I'd have to explain!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That little girl definitely has a creative bone. My 4 year old grand daughter loves "trash" too. I always challenge her to use it for something. It all usually ends up glued or taped to a piece of paper and on my fridge. Oh the OCD.
    I love the explanations kids give they are so precious:)
    Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Some kids are just big -time collectors, I guess. Kyle used to pick up very single rock or stone he could. he had a huge 5-gallon pail full of them in his room. Then one day, I told him it was time to puck his five favorites and we were going to toss the rest of them out in the woods for some other little boy to find one day. He told me instead that I could toss them all. Of course, he was 17 by this time...lol!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It sounds like she had a little ice cream with tons of toppings!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you think!