Sunday, May 15, 2011

Random Snippets of Life

Blogger was down last Thursday night and Friday morning, so that's my excuse for the lack of blog posting the end of last week. I know, I know, many have told me Wordpress is better, but I can think of a million things I need to do and a trillion things I'd rather do than spend the countless hours it would take for me to figure out how to move my blog over to Wordpress, so I'm staying and if Blogger sometimes needs an unanticipated day off, I get it, happens to me, too, sometimes.

_______________

I hope you're ready for some random because that's all I've got!

_______________

I took my 3 kids to the pediatrician one day last week for check-ups because we are currently in the process of re-doing a bunch of adoption paperwork that is expiring. I really do not know how this happened, but this was the first time we'd been to the pediatrician's office in about 6 months!!!!! Just to help you understand the hugeness of that, we were there just about every other week for the past 8 years! Sometimes (and I'm not kidding here) we were there even more than once a week -- you know one kid would get sick and I'd take him to the doctor and then 3 days later another kid would come down with it and back we'd go to the pediatrician. So, our recent visit was like a reunion! It's a family practice with a father and son doctor team and then the older doctor's wife is the office manager, and they were all so excited to see us, hugging and kissing my kids, commenting on how tall everyone had gotten! So funny and wonderful!

_______________

While at the doctor they did a vision test on each of my kids and for my just-turned-four year old, instead of a letter chart they were shapes, like heart, star, and triangle. He had to cover one eye and read off the shapes from different lines. And when my little guy came to the plus sign and said, "Cross", I could not have been more proud! He didn't think of that "+" shape as a "plus" or even a lowercase "t", nope to him it was a "cross," as in Jesus died on the cross for our sins!
_______________

We wrapped up soccer season yesterday. My 8 year old son loved it and wants to play again in the fall. My 5 year old daughter? Well she didn't hate it and I think she actually made contact with the ball once or twice during each game (like at kick-off when the ref. handed her the ball to kick), but we're definitely hanging up the cleats for the foreseeable future. I feel a little bad that I'm kinda happy about it, but at this point, ruling out a sport really makes my life easier! We signed her up for soccer because she hadn't tried a team sport yet and we didn't want to always wonder if that was something she would have loved. But, now we can just focus on what she does love -- swimming and gymnastics! She recently tried out and made it onto our local swim team for the summer and she is having so much fun! In fact, her workout got cut short due to thunder one day last week and she cried she was so sad to stop swimming early!

_______________

My 5 year old has another interest that I just may be a little excited about -- sewing! Today she and I used these instructions and made this skirt for her. It was fun to make and came together really quickly!
I have an extremely long list of sewing projects we can work on over the summer -- just have to keep those boys occupied with something so we can sneak off and sew!!

_______________

I just figured out there is an Ethiopian grocery store really close to our house, so we are definitely planning an outing over there very soon, and are so happy to know that once our new daughter comes home we'll be able to easily keep her supplied with injera should she so desire!

_______________

Happy Monday!

Miscellany Monday @ lowercase letters

2 comments:

  1. Love the story about your son and the cross! Melts the heart when they show us how they see the world through their innocent eyes!

    Love that adorable skirt! Wish I had a little girl to sew with me :)

    I have a sweet son and Cross story and mention sewing in my Miscellany Monday post too! So funny :) Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi...stopping over from carissa's lowercase letters. ur blog header reminded me of mine! :o)

    loved ur sewing project...might just give this a try..my 10 yr old has the sewing bug right now too!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you think!