Thursday, January 13, 2011

9 Months 2 Days Waiting, Etc., Etc.

We've now officially been on the waitlist for the child we'll adopt from Ethiopia for 9 months and 2 days!

And that's all I have to say about that.

Only not really! Depending on the day I have a lot to say. Everything from "all in God's timing" to "we should start training to be foster parents in the mean time because this wait may go on forever!!!" But if I'm really honest, as much as I hate the wait, bringing home our girl in the summer (which is how it's looking now) is probably better timing than smack dab in the middle of spring like we expected. In the summer we can really focus on bonding with our girl without all of the running around that goes on for school and extra-curricular activities of our older kids.

______________

In other news, it's been cold here. No snow like many of you have, but cold by our standards (it even dipped below freezing!!) and we had to dig out some real winter gear.

I have to say, again, I have no idea how you Northern moms do it!!!! The gloves, hats, coats, extra layers of clothes, etc., etc. times how ever many kids you have for months and months on end!!!! This Southern girl couldn't do it! In all likelihood, we'll be back in Crocs and flip-flops next week, which is the thought getting me through the cold spell!
______________

Oh, and this:

It's how we do hot chocolate around our house. Homemade using this recipe (The best! You have to try it!) with marshmallows and whipped cream, then topped with sprinkles!

Our hot chocolate season is short considering it's usually upwards of 90 degrees outside, so we do it big when we can!

______________

I'm really excited that my pack-rat daughter seems to have jumped on the January clean-out bandwagon. I told her to go through her cubby (the place my kids keep their random junk that is treasure to them -- think birthday party favors) because it was overflowing. A few minutes later she brought me this and said, "I'm thinking about throwing this away."

It's a used, run out of glow, glow stick bracelet left over from Halloween! Where exactly is the decision here? But to her I said, "I think that is an excellent decision!"

Baby steps, people, baby steps!

______________

My potty training post got many hits this week, but for those of you who are envious of our potty-trained status, I'd like to share a little glimpse into life post-diapers:

One morning this week when I walked into the bathroom to wipe the 3 year old who had gone #2 in the potty, I stepped in a puddle with my cloth-slippered foot.

I grabbed a bleach-wipe and said to my 3 year old, "Just a second, let me get this, it's a little bit wet."

Then he said, "Yeah, I peed there. . . accidentally."

It was 2 feet from the potty! I knew I'd rue the day I ever let my husband and older son teach him to go pee-pee standing up!

So, we've graduated from pee in the diapers to pee on the floor and on my slippers. The grass is not always greener, my friends!

______________

Have a wonderful weekend!


Mommy's Idea


Miscellany Monday @ lowercase letters

4 comments:

  1. Cheers for your daughter throwing out that glowstick--Jeers for your son peeing on the floor!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nine months and two days is a very long wait. I hope things speed up and the timing all works out with a minimal amount of stress.

    It's been crazy cold in Southern CA too but not it's going to be crazy hot again. Makes you wonder what's going on!

    Stopping by from Mrs. 4444. Happy weekend, jj

    ReplyDelete
  3. The wait must be excruciating. My daughter and son-in-law have decided to adopt. I am so excited and not looking forward to the wait. They just started the process.
    We are clearing out here too..I swear its embarrassing but my husband could be on Hoarders. He has a whole wall in our basement full of albums and 45's...we have had 2 floods there..they are no good..why and why do I care?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember a friend waiting for her adoption to come through - seemed like it took forever, but so does a pregnancy. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you think!