Sunday, January 2, 2011

If year 2011 were a pancake . . .

Our first breakfast of 2011:

Awesome what some cut-out numbers and powdered sugar can do! And yes, those are chocolate chip pancakes because nothing says celebration quite like throwing in some chocolate chips!

But apparently our breakfast food of choice is cereal from a box.

I started saving our empty cereal boxes about a week before Thanksgiving when I heard about a collection that was happening in my area for The Apparent Project in Haiti. The Apparent project calls itself "The Un-Orphanage" because they are addressing Haiti's orphan crisis at the root by finding creative ways for Haitians to be self-employed so that they can take care of their own children with dignity and joy. One of those ways is teaching them to use cereal boxes to make jewelry! In about 6 weeks time we went through 36 boxes of cereal! How is that even possible? That's nearly a box a day!

And when I drove across town one day at 4:30pm to drop off the boxes at the designated spot and time, I may or may not have done it with 2 out of my 3 kids still in their pajamas from the night before! In fact, during the week between Christmas and New Years my kids pretty much spent every day in their pajamas. And when I did the kid wash yesterday it was so much less than usual -- awesome!

But, I have to admit, the letting your kids go places in pajamas is a slippery slope. We all know when I have to do elementary school drop-off at 7:45am, I take my 3 year old in with me still in his pajamas, walking all the way to the cafeteria (where my kindergartener lines up), and back out. That I've gotten comfortable with. I mean it is early and he's cute in his jammies. But, after we dropped off those cereal boxes last week, I remembered my boys really needed haircuts and considered swinging by to get that done while we were out. Then I realized my two younger kids still had their jammies on and I actually considered taking them into the haircut place like that!!! Thankfully the sanity won out, but there must have been a part of my mind that actually thought that would be okay -- scary!



Miscellany Monday @ lowercase letters

4 comments:

  1. we were living the pre holiday and post holiday weeks in our pjs too. I think I even made a run to Target a time or two in pjs. Like you said, slippery slope and I enjoyed the slide. But back to reality today - and yes, the laundry was less and so need to reflect on that and see what I can do about that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. HAHA I think I would have done it...My daughter when she was around 12 - 14 played on a travel softball team ~ we were ALWAYS somewhere it seemed. The girls all lived in their uniforms or jammies. They went EVERYWHERE in those jammies. I can't tell you how many coffee houses we sat in with them eating in thier jammies. Of course their PJ's were just flannel pants or shorts, and then comfy tee-shirts, but still! It changed how I looked at jammies and public. I actually stayed in mine 2 whole days last week. Sooo out of character for me. Though I did shower first and then put a clean pair on. My daughter told me that didn't count, haha. Have a wonderful day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ha! Love the jammies! It is SO nice to have that break!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those pancakes looks so amazing!!!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you think!