Monday, February 21, 2011

An Eight Year Old Boy!

Today my oldest child turned eight.

Eight!

I can just hardly believe it.

And, I have to admit that at one time I had no idea how it would be having an 8 year old boy.

I kind of feared these mid-elementary boy ages.

Worried they be all potty humor, arm farts, and enjoyment of games and activities I could not relate to.

But, boy was I wrong!

Sure we have our periods of difficult, he is still our most stong-willed child.

But, oh the joy and fun!

He's interested in so many subjects from the Bible to weather to chemistry to history to art and music. It is really entertaining to discover alongside him, taking in the periodic table with fresh, eager-to-learn eyes rather than the drudgery of my high school and college days! It is so cool to watch him see prints of the Mona Lisa, listen to Michael Jackson's "Beat It" (and perfect his own "robot" dance), to study American Presidents, try new foods, and read great books. We recently read The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe (Essential Modern Classics) and then watched the
Narnia movie together and it was a delightful experience -- opened up so many great discussions!

I had no idea how much I'd enjoy legos, 'course it helps that those mini-figures are so cute! Just something about a 1 inch tall person that is so fun (and dollhouse-like, but shhh, don't tell my boys that)!

One of my biggest praises about my oldest son is his attitude. I've been around other boys his age and know what it could be like with the bad attitudes. And I'm so grateful his attitude is mostly sweet, I pray God continues to guard his heart!

Here's the new 8 year old studying one of his presents -- his biggest lego set so far!


While I do miss the days when I used to carry him on my hip, these big boy days are pretty great, too!

Thank you, sweet firstborn son, for the joy, the wonder, the new you bring to my every day! We are so proud of you and very certain God has great things planned for your life!



Find more Gratituesday here.

2 comments:

  1. I think you are one blessed mom! Enjoy every moment. I had five, four boys and one girl. I remember feeling like they would never grow up, but they did. My twins (the babies) are now seniors in high school. Time passes so quickly...I have a granddaughter now and am starting on the next generation. Visit me at NanaHood and Happy Birthday to your sweet son!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Time does go ever soo quickly. How I enjoyed my boys at that age...HAPPY BIRTHDAY to your son! HUGS

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you think!