Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Idiot-proof Your Life

I have started doing something that I think of as "idiot-proofing" my life, meaning I anticipate my idiot moments in advance and prepare accordingly.

For example, this year at the preschool there is a new policy where each child brings their own snack each class day instead of it being provided by the school because there were too
many allergy issues.

My 3 year old goes to school 2 mornings per week to the same class my other 2 kids went to as 3 year olds, only I didn't have to pack a snack and make sure it got into school with th
em. I knew as soon as I heard about the change that there would be a day I'd forget the snack. I'd be faced with the unhappy consequences of my preschooler freaking out that he didn't have a snack, and then have to either go back home and make him very late or confess to the teacher my forgetfulness.

So, as a preemptive strike, I bagged up some pretzels and stuck them in a bag in the way back of my vehicle (not in the armrest because then they'd be discovered and eaten by someo
ne eventually). It took no time at all.

But, one day a few weeks ago, it totally saved me!

We got nearly to his classroom door when I realized we didn't have a snack, but no worries, we just calmly walked back to the car, retrieved the little baggie of pretzels and everyone went on to have a great drama-free morning!

I have to say, I'm really surprised and patting myself on the back that we made it until January before needing the pretzels and that the same day I used the secret snack stash, I replenished it so it would be there to bless me another day!

That is key, if you use your emergency supply, you must then replace it as soon as possible because you know you'll need it again!!

Find more Works for Me Wednesday here.

3 comments:

  1. great! love the idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. And, digging snacks from beneath my car seat would be frowned upon, right?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is such a good idea! I wish I could do this with lunchables. LOL

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you think!