Thursday, November 6, 2014

Broken Teeth, Rainy Day Fun, and Reading Books to Dogs

Well, I don't know about how the time change is playing out in your house, but my kids have been up a full 45 minutes earlier than usual each morning and yet not able to fall asleep early which has contributed to some melt downs and general crankiness this week.

The positive is that I've recruited them to help pack their lunches with all the extra morning time!

___________________________

I've said before, if there is one thing I have learned in this season of life we are in right now with 4 kids ages 11, 9, 7, and 6 years old, it is that TEETH WILL FALL OUT.

That fact I was used to.  Rummaging through my purse to find my lip gloss and instead finding a plastic baggie containing someone else's tooth is no longer even strange, but you know what is?  When your kid only loses half of a tooth!

My husband and our 11 year old son went to our professional football team game last Sunday afternoon and when they came home after the initial update on the game experience, my husband told me I needed to look in the 11 year old's mouth because he lost a tooth at the game, but only part of it came out.

"What'chu talkin' 'bout, Willis? (my childhood of watching Different Strokes still haunts me!)

I looked in my son's mouth and sure enough, he had lost just part of his first molar.  I then consulted the medical expertise that is Google to figure out if this was an emergency situation or something not to worry about.  I really didn't find a satisfying answer, so I was forced to use my own common sense.  The tooth was a baby tooth, the boy was not in pain, and he was able to eat normally = not an emergency and I would call the dentist Monday morning.  And in the mean time try not to look at the tooth because man did it look gross!

When I called the dentist office, they assured me that it was quite common, but that the other half of the tooth did need to come out so the permanent tooth could grow in properly.  She said we could try to work it out ourselves but if we couldn't get it, we'd need to come in to have it pulled.

My husband and I both put in our best efforts that evening, but as it turns out, it is hard to get a good grip on half a molar!  So, the dentist used a little numbing cream and pulled it out.

___________________________

In other news, it rained this week:



Little Girl is happy there, but remember the melt-downs I mentioned at the beginning?  Well, there was an umbrella fit on the walk to the car after school when Little Girl didn't want to use the umbrella she had but wanted the one her sister had instead.  "It's not FAIR!!  But I want THAT one!!!  She ALWAYS gets that one!!!"  My suggestion of "How about being happy you have an umbrella at all?" went over about as well as you'd expect in that situation!
 ___________________________

And the only other picture on my camera from the week is this one of my 9 year old daughter reading to the dog.  If Madeline the dog's face looks as if she's being held hostage against her will, it's because she was.  The 9 year old was determined that the dog should hear this book that was about a dog and she kept making Madeline lay "down" and listen to the story.  At least Madeline got a treat for her listening efforts!


Happy Friday, everyone!
Half-Past Kissin' Time

6 comments:

  1. You put a smile on my face this morning. My granddaughter lost the bottom half of her permanent front teeth a couple of weeks ago. The dentist did such a good job you can't even tell.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How traumatic finding half a tooth in your purse. But, even more so, having half a tooth dangling in your son's mouth. That must have been uncomfortable.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Does the tooth fairy come twice in this case?

    ReplyDelete
  4. First time I've ever heard of that type of tooth problem. One of our daughters had an extra tooth come in. That was very strange for us. Reading to a dog - that would be tough to pull off.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh those are really cute photos. Sounds like your daughter knows the importance of learning to read and doesn't want her pup to be left behind. Who needs a lucky penny when your purse if full of teeth…LOL

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my goodness! It's possible for only part of a tooth to fall out? We are getting near the teeth falling out stage in this house, and it gives me the heebie jeebies. I can deal with vomit, poop, blood, all of that, but I'm not sure if I can pull a tooth.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you think!