Thursday, March 31, 2011

Is it really chaos?

Ultimate Blog Party 2011 It's that time again -- the 5 Minutes for Mom Ultimate Blog Party! Welcome to the It Feels Like Chaos party!

Feel free to grab some ear plugs at the door; it's always LOUD around here!

And I must warn you against eating any of the cake!

The ice cream, however, gets rave reviews!

To introduce ourselves, we have 3 biological children ages 8, 5, and 3 years old and are in the process of adopting a little girl from Ethiopia.

As if having 3 young children and an adoption in progress wasn't enough crazy, we recently added a puppy to the chaos. Madeline is a 16 week old golden doodle puppy who really, really loves taking baths, in fact just this week she's discovered a new tactic that nearly guarantees her a much coveted bath:

Yes, that is mud covering her furry blond feet. Sorry for cutting off her head, as it turns out children may be easier to photograph than puppies! And for the record, the puppy is now getting a bath and blow-dry more times each week than I do!

So what's up with the name? Is it really chaos?

Well, there are occasionally backwards jeans.

Teeth have been known to fall out! And we anticipate losing 60 or more in the next few years! And our tooth fairy is way stingier than the tooth fairy for my kids' friends, so I don't know what's up with that! I tell my kids, "Well, their teeth just must be better than your teeth, maybe they brush more!"

I got a sewing machine for Mother's Day last year, The Internet has taught me to sew, and now I make more than half of my daughter's clothes, like this dress I made with this tutorial this week. I delighted in how sweet and girly my daughter looked in it. Then after school, she came home and made mud pies with her brothers while wearing it! Awesome!


There may or may not have been a moment this week when I called my husband at work and said, "All 3 kids are muddy, the dog is muddy, the 8 year old needs to be at soccer practice in 30 minutes, and I really just wish the mom would show up and deal with all this." Yeah, I know I AM the mom, and I did suck it up and deal with it all, even making it to the practice on time.


But the really crazy thing about the mud that made me wish I could turn-over my mom position just for an hour or so? Is that it hasn't really rained here in I-don't-know-when! My children created the mud by toting water from our outside faucet to the dirt under their swing set with buckets!

Back to the "Is it really chaos?" question.

Random face decorating is common around here.


There's usually a science experiment going on.


And somehow my toilet paper always ends up looking like this:

It used to be a toddler wildly unrolling the t.p. and this frugal momma rolling it back up (I mean it's not really used t.p., just unrolled)! Now, the puppy is the culprit!

My in-box pretty much always looks like this:


And while sometimes being the main manager of all the chaos leaves me feeling like this very tired bear.

I wouldn't have it any other way!

This blog is about sharing the crazy journey God has us on -- the messes, the fun, the joy, the pain, the struggles, the crafts (for the uncrafty, of course), the cooking from scratch, the attempt to live frugally for a greater purpose, the learning, the loving. The chaos! But, as the Sanctus Real song says, "It feels like chaos, but somehow there's peace." The peace comes from the only thing truly good about our home, and that is Jesus. I am so glad that He's "up to something bigger than me"!

Thanks for joining our party! Feel free to come back any time for a front row seat to all the chaos. And the best part? You get to enjoy it without having to clean up from it!!



44 comments:

  1. New follower from the hop :) you have a fabulous blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE LOVE LOVE this! We have a 17 week old basset hound who would love to play with your poodle! Of course, we'd have no toilet paper and muddy paw prints everywhere! And I must confess, I too have wondered when the mom was going to show up to manage the chaos. So glad I stopped by from UBP ... I will definitely be back!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hilarious post! Totally impressed with your sewing ability after less than a year. I tried to learn from the internet...it didn't go so well. Ha!

    Stop by and say hi when you get a chance and have fun "partying" this week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fun post!!! You have a beautiful family. I love that you're making your daughter's clothes...and the dress is really adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post! I can relate, ha! We're also an adoptive family...we've been praying hard for everyone involved in Ethiopian adoptions, so we've been praying for YOU! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Stopping from the UBP '11! I have a 3 year old who likes dirt too. I am a new subscriber!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm coming by from the UBP. Thanks for introducing us to your family. The dress you made for your daughter is very cute.

    ~ Melinda ~

    ReplyDelete
  8. Stopping by from the UBP, congrats on your upcoming adoption! We are a family formed through adoption too. Have a great weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Stopping by from the UBP! What a wonderfully happy family you have! So glad to meet you :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm here from the UBP. Bookmarking you! (I'm not bookmarking everybody. Just a few good ones.) Happy partying! I'm at http://getalonghome.com if you have time to come see me.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love this! Here from the UBP. And can totally relate:)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks so much for stopping by my blog today! I think I visited your blog a couple of years ago during the UBP, but somehow lost track over time... I'm glad to find you again!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love the way you keep a sense of humor in life! Don't we have to do that to at least stay a little bit sane? I know I do:)
    Glad I stopped by!

    God bless,
    Michelle
    Faith on Fire

    ReplyDelete
  14. So nice to see you again! :)

    I *completely* get the whole chaos/peace thing...I feel that in my home as well!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sooo many things you said are things I have thought! I've picked up sewing, too, and have to say - it's so much more fun to make girly stuff than boyish stuff! The dress turned out really well - and I know the feeling of not wanting your hard work to get ruined!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi! Following you from
    UBP! Hope you visit me
    and return the follow!
    :0)

    ReplyDelete
  17. LOL!!! Love love LOVE this party post! I will DEFINITELY be back! :-D

    ~ Brandy
    http://brandycormier.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. That is my favorite song! I like Sanctus Real:)
    Visiting from UBP:)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi! Stopping in from the Blog Party.

    My house isn't as crazy as yours, we only have two preschool daughters (4 & 3...) thus far. In fact, we had some random face painting going on today....

    It was lovely meeting you! And thanks for the warning on the cake, don't eat our cookies.... ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  20. I just love this post...it had me chuckling the whole way through. Of course feeling your chaos because there are days where mine are just like that.
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  21. so sweet, and mirrors my life. we have five kids 2 adopted from ethiopia, i wish you the best and love the puppy pictures, we have a naught mr. wiggles a rat terror. :) and the toilet paper and inbox pictures, um ya my life. look forward to getting to know you.
    www.farmerbrains.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love your intro and how you embrace the chaos. Looks like fun! Visiting from the UBP.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Stopped by from the 2011UBP. My sewing room is called "Chaos" so I had to come see. :) We have international adoptees too ~ what a ride!

    Happy Blog Partying!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Checkin in from the UBP! Your post is hilarious! I love the tooth fairy tactic! I'm going to have to use that one!

    I'm also your newest follower!

    http://www.lisavsfitness.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  25. Your name drew me in! I am going to follow :) Head my way if you get the chance- I think we have a lot in common! TheKelleyEight.com

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hi! I'm stopping by from the UBP - I'm #73 (Being Made New - http://tinahollenbeck.blogspot.com) on the Christian list. Very nice to get to know a bit about you - I really love your sense of humor about life's chaos - and I'd be honored if you would make it to my place this week. :^)

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hi! Stopping by from the UBP. Great blog! It looks like you guys have lots of fun.

    Have a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Their teeth must be WORTH MORE!! Bahahahahah!!! Oh my word, I hope you don't mind, but I am SO going to try and remember that when it's our turn to deal with that!
    :)
    Loved the UBP post... so much fun. Definitely subscribing. :)
    Thanks for the laughs!

    -Meredith
    http://realfaithjourney.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  29. what a fun fun house you live in! :)

    ReplyDelete
  30. Oh! I posted my comment in the wrong place. I love your blog! I can soooooooooo relate! It's definitely chaos in my home but I'm likely a chaos junkie just waiting for my next fix.

    I look forward to reading more and hope you'll stop by and read mine. I found you through UBP 2011 and am so glad I did.

    Blessings,
    e

    ReplyDelete
  31. Lovely to meet you and your blog through UPB. This is my first year and I am finding many wonderful blogs, like yours.

    Fondly,
    Glenda

    Gg - Notes on the Journey # 269

    ReplyDelete
  32. Popping over from the blog party! Nice to meet you. Great site you have here. I love blogging about my own adventures, too! I'm also an author and webmaster.
    Blessings,
    Carla

    Writing to Distraction
    http://writingtodistraction.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  33. This post is so much fun! That Sanctus Real song is one of my favorites. May God bless the adoption process for your family.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Sister friend. I am so with you. Love this post and your style. Stopping in from the fake party - UBP11.
    Come visit me at Tales from the Motherhood and Confessions of a Former Child Actress.
    Maybe you can do a guest post for me on Stylin' Saturday cuz I think your kids have got the eye...
    AND I love adoption!

    ReplyDelete
  35. I’m a new follower from UBP11. I just wanted to say hello. I loved "meeting" your active family!

    Lisa
    www.LisaBlogs.com

    ReplyDelete
  36. It's been a little while since I've visited. Congrats on the adoption! I love reading about REAL LIFE that is chaotic. It helps me feel more normal! Thanks for being real!

    ReplyDelete
  37. I'm visiting from the UBP. So glad you are adopting. Both our boys are adopted. You can meet me at
    http://3dreflections.blogspot.com/
    The goal of my blog is to be an encouragement to other Moms especially Moms of Special Needs kids. It is based on Phil 4:8 and I am finding the "delight" in each day rather than focusing on the negative.
    Blessing on you and your family!
    Denise

    ReplyDelete
  38. HI! I am dropping by from the UBP11 and following you. I have to say...I love your sweet and candid blog...I can not wait to read more about you and your fun family!!

    Please drop by and say hello at momsmustardseeds.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  39. I am a new follower from the UBP! I love your sense of humor! I hope you will stop by and visit me :)

    ReplyDelete
  40. Howdy!

    YAY congrats on having three great kids and adopting another!!

    I am so happy to have found your blog. I am stopping in from the Ultimate Blog Party and this is my very first year participating and this is SO VERY exciting!! LOL

    Anyhow...please stop by my blogs and follow whenever you get the opportunity:

    So Stylilized is where I am currently offering FREE Custom Blog Designs at http://sostylilized.blogspot.com/2011/04/ultimate-blog-party.html

    And...Jessica Lil Corner is where I am blogging about family and life at http://jessicaslilcorner.blogspot.com/2011/04/ultimate-blog-party.html

    I welcome your visit at either or both of my blogs and hope to have you stop by and follow really soon!!

    Have a very blessed day!! :0)

    ReplyDelete
  41. I look forward to getting to know you more! Here via the UBP! I'm Christy...Christian Army Wife, Homeschooling Mom, stationed in Germany. We have 5 kids, our oldest is resting comfortably in the arms of Jesus. Our lives are pretty chaotic too, but I wouldn't want it any other way!!!

    God Bless

    ReplyDelete
  42. Hi!
    You have a new follower, I love your blog!
    Come check out my adventures,
    justamormonmomma.blogspot.com

    Becky

    ReplyDelete
  43. Hi,stopped by from the UBP. I am a mom of seven, one just a week and half old. Stop by sometime..amothersheritage.com :)

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you think!