Thursday, January 26, 2012

Everybody's


There was a huge breakthrough here today!  Since coming home from Ethiopia, our daughter has taken the complete opposite extreme from living in an orphanage where nothing was her own to claiming pretty much everything in our house as hers.  Especially with clothes and toys she's been real territorial, adamant that they are "(her name)'s!"  

This has driven my other kids crazy, in particular my 6 year old and 4 year old.  They have many times come to me distraught, "But, she thinks that's hers now!" when she's claimed something they really like.  I've had so many conversations with them assuring them that she is just playing with it right now and of course they will be able to play with it again and explaining to them that she has come from a place where she had nothing of her own.  But, it's made them be more territorial back to her, when they are typically pretty good about sharing their toys.

It's been one of the hard things.

But, today, my 6 year old daughter was playing dress-up with her new 3 year old sister, the 3 year old was claiming various things as her own.  And this time instead of getting upset and running to me about it, my 6 year old taught her sister the term "Everybody's!"  

And it's been magic!

All evening the 3 year old delighted in calling things, "Everybody's!"  And my other kids are a whole lot happier with that idea!

Praise God for progress!!!

__________________

In other household news, the 4 year old who has been saying for months he's going to be a pastor when he grows up has now informed us that he no longer wants to be a pastor when he grows up, he wants to be a clown!

"Wherever God leads you, Baby!  Wherever He leads!"

"Just remember when you're a clown to hook us up with some free circus tickets because those things are crazy expensive!"
__________________

Tonight after all the kids were bathed, my husband was laying on the bunk bed in our boy room quizzing the 8 year old on spelling words for his test tomorrow.  I didn't realize that's what they were doing in there and I came in with the 3 younger kids to read a story.  Kids were romping on the bed, there were discussions on the book selection, and just some general loud that often accompanies my children.

Then from his spot sprawled on the bed, my husband asked, "Why are there so many people in here?"

I had to laugh at him!  "What are you talking about 'so many people'?  This is your family!"

I think being in his private office all day has spoiled him and he comes home and has a bit of culture shock!

Six people does have a way of filling up a room, though!  Just remember it's "Happy Squished"!




Mommy's Idea

7 comments:

  1. I can imagine that the transition (from having nothing to feeling safe and secure enough to claim everything as your own) is mind blowing.

    Everybodys is a great word for her to learn, how mature and big sisterly of your 6 year old to teach her.

    Happy Friday, I really enjoyed learning about your family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this post!!! So glad things are still going well! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an adorable picture! Them arguing means they are on the process to becoming siblings and believe it or not, that is a good sign! Visiting from FF - http://www.waynewsmith.com/2012/01/friday-fragment-v11.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is the first time I visited your blog. Bless you for adopting a sweet little girl! I run an in-home child care and I deal daily with "ITS MINE". I have the same rule "ITS EVERYBODY'S". :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Everybody's, I'm going to have to remember that one. We are expecting a referral from Taiwan in the next month or two (sqeee!) and most likely a toddler. My 5 yr old might not be so awesome and wanting to share and the whole 'the baby can share my room' thing might go right out the window. My almost 10 yr old will probably just close his door and hoard his stuff so the New Kid doesn't touch anything.Sigh.

    I love your header. That's going to be us someday!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's awesome! I hope the kids continue to figure things out like that. It's so rewarding to see as a parent!

    Have a wonderful weekend!
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  7. I find it amusing...She probably doesn't even know what "Everybody" means, right? As long as it works :) Your kids are learning so much through this experience.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you think!