Wednesday, April 22, 2009

What it is like having a big sister


By having a boy, then a girl, and then another boy, I've been able to watch a big brother in action with his baby sister and a big sister in action with her baby brother and let me tell you, they are very different!

You may remember this post of mine where I shared about the brotherly love between my 2 boys. Well, today's picture reveals a thousand words about what it is like having a big sister:
  1. It is a lot like having a miniature mommy following you around all the time!
  2. In this picture taken about 20 months ago, she climbed into the bassinet portion of the Pack N' Play with her baby brother and is trying to put his pacifier back in.
  3. Notice the baby is not crying, meaning he is not at all bothered by his big sister being there, in fact he is already quite used to her smothering him with attention!
  4. Also, notice the baby is not crying, yet she was determined to put that paci in. She felt he should always be sucking it!
  5. She continues to be the little mommy even now that her nearly 2 year old brother almost outweighs her!
  6. I often hear her asking, "What's the matter Baby?" when he is fussing about something.
  7. Ever the helpful big sister she has also been known to say, "I will show him which one he wants!"
  8. And we wondered why this baby brother barely spoke until he was 19 months old!
  9. It is most amazing to me that she will notice him with a runny nose, run get a Kleenex, and wipe it for him, all without being asked! In 6 years of living, I don't think her older brother has ever willing wiped his own nose, much less someone else's!
  10. God really does equip men and women differently and in general He seems to give women the nurturing role!
  11. Man can she ever make him mad, but oh how that baby brother loves his "Sisser"! He even wants her to sleep in the bed next to his crib, which she obliges most nights!
  12. "Siblings are the people we practice on, the people who teach us about fairness and cooperation and kindness and caring - quite often the hard way." ~Pamela Dugdale
  13. I am so thankful they have each other and pray they will always be close!

Find more Thankful Thursday at Women Taking a Stand, Thousand Words Thursday at Cheaper Than Therapy, and Thursday {Thirteen} at Happy to be @ Home.

33 comments:

  1. Oh! This was just precious! LOVED it. Yes, God did equip us so differently, didn't he? How wonderful! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. sweet. love this post. blessings...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know that I'll ever get to see big brother/little brother or sister in action, but I definitely can relate to the big sister/little brother thing. My almost 3-year-old daughter is exactly like that photo right now with her baby brother!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your picture is precious and I loved your post.

    I am the oldest of 4 kids and I'll have to say that I can relate to much of what you've posted. I think my siblings would agree that they've had a 2nd Momma their entire lives.

    Happy Thursday!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My 2nd son shoves his brother's pacifier in his mouth all the time - it freaks me out!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a sweet post. I'm sure they will continue to be close as they grow and mature.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awww, how precious!

    I just had a baby girl in January, and I am amazed by the instincts of my 17 year old son. Almost like he's practicing for fatherhood with her - years from now, of course! lol

    My ATWT

    ReplyDelete
  8. such a sweet post..hope my son will be a good brother/sis if God will give us another child..

    ReplyDelete
  9. It is so funny at that stage where they always want to help(well most of the time lol)!

    ReplyDelete
  10. There is definetly a HUGE difference between boys and girls! What a sweet TT post. thanks for sharing. -Laurie

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is just too precious! There is definitely a difference between the way boys and girls are 'wired'... :)

    Happy ATWT! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. that is great! i agree God did wire men and women differently. i have 3 boys, so i won't ever get to see a girl in action:(

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a sweet picture. I have a boy then a girl then a boy. My little girl was like a little mommy! TFS

    ReplyDelete
  14. Very sweet! We love watching the home video from when we brought our second daughter home from the hospital. Our older daughter was hovering over her and asking her if she wanted to play!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great "capture the moment" picture. One time right after Bud was born I had him sleeping in the swing and I jumped in and out of the shower and then ran back to where he was and Baby Girl was giving him a bottle. I asked if he had been crying and she said yes. I thanked her for giving him the bottle and she said, "Big Sisters know what to do." Like, "of course Mom, now go back and get dressed."

    ReplyDelete
  16. That's too sweet! I love it. Happy Thankful Thursday!

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is a beautiful post and brought tears to my eyes... I had a boy, then a girl, and am currently 30 weeks pregnant with our third. How fun to see some of what I may have to look forward to! And I totally agree-- God made us beautifully and wondrously different by design!

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a precious picture...made my heart melt.

    ReplyDelete
  19. One of the sweetest post I've seen! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  20. What an awesome post! How true it is, how sweet girls can be and oh so caring... What a joy to read! Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  21. That is so adorable, What a true blessing!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I definitely agree that the difference between a big brother and big sister is huge. My big sister girls are so smothering and motherly, but it's so cool watching them take on that role. By the way, I love your daughter's dress in the picture. So cute!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you think!