Monday, October 25, 2010

Sheep Feeding



My daughter sees him, that really hungry one with his head through the fence, and I read it in her eyes, hear it in her voice, she is determined to feed that lamb!

She takes the feed I pour into her cupped little hand, listens carefully as I explain how to do it, opening her hand all the way so she feeds the sheep with a flat hand. She executes it well.

She feeds that sheep.


But, she's not satisfied with the one.

Now?

Now, she must feed them all.

And she's not going to quit until each one has gotten some of the food from her hand.

It's getting hot, the animals are kinda stinky, we've already been through the rabbits, the horses, the donkey, the chickens.

And all the poop and the dust and what exactly are those random puddles? Starts to get to me.

I want to be done feeding the sheep. I want to usher my children out of the animal pen and properly douse them with hand sanitizer and move on to a shady, more comfortable activity.

But, wait, she must leave some food in the dish. . .
for later, in case they are hungry later.

"Come on, come on, we're moving on!"

Two days later I download the pictures from the camera to the computer and I see the pictures of my girl feeding the lambs, tending the sheep.

And all I can think of is the conversation between Jesus and Peter after Peter had denied Jesus three times, Jesus had been crucified, and rose from the dead.

When they had finished breakfast, Jesus said to Simon Peter, “Simon, son of John, do you love me more than these?” He said to him, “Yes, Lord; you know that I love you.” He said to him, “Feed my lambs." He said to him a second time, “Simon, son of John, do you love me?” He said to him, “Yes, Lord; you know that I love you.” He said to him, “Tend my sheep.” He said to him the third time, “Simon, son of John, do you love me?” Peter was grieved because he said to him the third time, “Do you love me?” and he said to him, “Lord, you know everything; you know that I love you.” Jesus said to him, “Feed my sheep."
John 21:15-17

And I wonder, how many times have I missed it? How many times have I failed to feed His sheep because I was too hot, tired, uncomfortable, grossed out, or just didn't feel like it.

If/Because I love Jesus I
must feed His lambs, tend His sheep, and feed His sheep.

All it takes is a willing heart, a little food, and an outstretched hand.


This post is part of the Moms' 30-Minute Blog Challenge.

3 comments:

  1. Oh I loved this. What a wonderful anaolgy. I am afraid it is soo true of me sometimes. I rush right by soo many opportunities in my haste for....what?....I am not really so sure. This was a great reminder. Have a good day. HUGS, Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how the little ones lead us sometimes. Great reminder!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just found your blog today and I am SO happy that I did!!! Loved this post! It's great to meet another sister in Christ.

    Blessings!
    Melanie

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you think!