Thursday, February 16, 2012

Barbie and I don't get along

Little Girl got a Princess Tiana Barbie doll for Valentine's day.  And her strapless dress will not stay up!  



I took this picture while she was lying flat, because you hold her upright, that dress slips down and she's flashing you!  It's so obscene I talked my daughter out of taking the doll with us to the grocery store.  Really, I have no idea why I keep getting my girls Barbies, Barbie and I have tons of issues, irreconcilable differences, maybe!
_______________

I made brussel sprouts once for dinner 11 months ago.  The rest of the family didn't like them, my then 3 year old son really did, though, and even had seconds!  Of brussel sprouts!

Fast forward to this past week, he suddenly mentions to me that we haven't had brussel sprouts in a long time.  I say, "You're right.  And you liked them.  I'll have to make them for you again soon."  But, when I go to the grocery store I totally forget about the brussel sprouts.  And now for the past 3 nights when I'm making dinner, my 4 year old has asked if we're having brussel sprouts.  He's always upset when I say "no".  Tonight he lamented, "You NEVER make me brussel sprouts!"

Seriously, it's like I'm in some sort of twilight zone!  I thought kids whined about their mom making them eat brussel sprouts.  But not my kid, he whines about me not making him brussel sprouts!!

And how is it exactly that my 4 year old guy remembers eating brussel sprouts when we haven't had them in 11 months?!!
_______________

A few people have said to me recently, "I don't know how you do it with 4 kids.  I'm struggling with just 2 kids!"

My secret:


Older siblings are the BEST entertainment for little ones!

When my oldest kid was 3, there was nobody to read to him during the day except me!

_______________

Happy Friday!

Mommy's Idea

11 comments:

  1. I'm sure that's why my mom had nine kids.haha

    Lately, the subject of only-children keeps rearing its ugly head. I'm sure there are many perfectly-wonderful onlies in this world, but I sure have run into my share of self-centered, spoiled ones lately.

    The Brussels sprouts story is adorable. I prefer mine pickled.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hate brussel sprouts, but love the brussel sprouts story!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like brussel sprouts but I find it quirky that a 4 year old can remember the NAME since he hasn't had them since he was barely 3!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love brussel sprouts here - but I'm the only one... other than my mother in law so I make them every time she visits... she must think I'm nuts...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't say I hate brussels sprouts, I've never actually eaten one. I don't know if I could get past the stigma though. That could be tough.

    I currently have two kids and we are waiting for a referral for number three any time now. I'm sincerely hoping my drama prone soon to be middle child will enjoy reading to her new little brother or sister. She says she wants to help with the baby but I don't know, the aby might touch her Lalaloopsy doll and then all bets could be off!

    Happy Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Maybe the princess is getting ready for Mardi Gras? She does live in New Orleans.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would love to have my kids begging for vegetables. That's awesome! I have long ago given up on any Barbie dolls in my house having clothes on. I just use them as bath toys now.

    ReplyDelete
  8. One of our daughters loved lima beans. I don't know if she still does as a mom herself. Anytime I see a post about Barbie I'm encouraged to share my post I did last fall. Don't mix Barbie and the Trolls.
    http://afcsoac.blogspot.com/2011/10/barbie-message-what-about-ken.html

    ReplyDelete
  9. LOVE the brussel sprouts story. Lol. And I remember reading to my little brother & sister (I'm the oldest). Helped my parents out big time. :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh you are so right about older kids!!! That is my trick in schooling also. Having the older ones read aloud while I am hammering PreK with the little guy keeps things relatively peaceful ;-)

    I hate Barbie. We don't let our daughter have them. They would always be naked or the boys would pull her head off.

    The brussle sprouts made me laugh. My kids love peas and corn, it freaks others out ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I wonder if your son would still like brussel sprouts now--maybe it's the attention he gets for liking them?

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you think!