Monday, February 1, 2010

Seriously Specific Signs!

Last fall when we began the process to adopt a child from Ethiopia, one of the hardest aspects for us was the idea of telling our family.

My husband and I both grew up in families of two kids, a boy and a girl. So even just announcing when we were pregnant with our 3rd child was a little weird, and we did get the occasional, "You guys already have a son and a daughter, why have another one?" But, now we were breaking the news that not only were we trying for a 4th child, but we were. . .

adopting this one . . .

from Ethiopia!

One day during this early-adoption-process phase before we'd told anyone besides our kids and our adoption agency, my husband and I were driving with our children to a function a little over an hour north of our home. While in the car we were discussing the idea of telling people about the adoption and debating how we thought certain people would respond.

We were unsure of exactly the right exit to take off the freeway and got off too soon but we couldn't get back on, instead we found ourselves following a complicated detour due to some road construction. We were still talking, but I was also intently monitoring each residential street we passed to try to see if we could use it to escape the detour and get back to the main road easier.

At this point and for a several minutes prior we had been talking specifically about my husband's parents and how we thought they'd take the news of our plans to adopt.

And then it happened.

We passed a street with the same name as his mother's first name.

And the very next street had the same name as his father!

Seriously! I couldn't make this stuff up.

What are the chances that while we are worrying about how my husband's parents will take the news of our adoption, we would pass streets with their names, one right after the other?!!

Only God!

He is so involved in our lives that even details like street names are not too small for Him to speak through.

I love the verse, Isaiah 49:16, "Behold, I have inscribed you on the palms of My hands; your walls are continually before Me."

To me this means that God cares so specifically for each of us that our names (my name and yours) are inscribed in the palm of His hands and our issues (walls) are always at the forefront of His concern.

Do I believe that God spoke to us that day through a wrong exit, a detour, and street signs to assure us that He was with us on this adoption journey? Yes, absolutely! And my husband's parents? Took the news beautifully!

For His presence in the extraordinary and ordinary moments of my day-to-day life, I am so grateful!

This post is part of the Moms' 30-Minute Blog Challenge.

Check out Gratituesday & Tuesdays Unwrapped.

23 comments:

  1. Awesome story! Are you still in the adoption process?

    ReplyDelete
  2. We're praying about the possibility of adoption - looking at Ethopia, too - within the next few years.

    Gotta LOVE God-things! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Too cool! I love stories like that!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love it! Folks these days don't always believe in miracles and signs because they expect the big ones like those told in about in the Bible. But with faith and open eyes, we can see many, just as you have done. WIshing you continued blessings...

    ReplyDelete
  5. love that. ;) How soon until you welcome your new addition?

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's a beautiful story. Thankfully you had your eyes and heart open to see.

    ReplyDelete
  7. To answera a couple questions, yes, we are still in the adoption process and hope to welcome our new little one in the next 9 to 12 months.

    ReplyDelete
  8. WOW...goosebumps...Don't you just love God-moments? Have a wonderful day. Hugs, Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  9. We have a daughter with Down syndrome, and have been surprised and gratified at the connection she and her grandparents have made (on one side of the family).

    ReplyDelete
  10. Often it's the small things that speak to us the most. Thanks for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a beautiful story! God is so good to us--in big ways and small ways. thank you for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love how God gives us those signs in some of the most ordinary places.

    Coming over from Chatting...
    Can't wait to hear more about your adoption journey!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, that is an amazing story -- I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love this! God speaks to us all the time -- unfortunately we're too busy worrying to hear it :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Isn't it amazing how He speaks to us. Just like the story about your daughter asking about orphans. Sometimes it is a little nudge and others it is blatant.
    We, too, were worried about breaking adopting news. We have one of each, as well, and after the last one I got my tubes tied. Before God moved in us, we had absolutely no plans for any more children. Our families knew it, too. I was really worried, but they didn't bat an eye about it. They were excited and wanted to know how they could help. God truly is great!

    ReplyDelete
  16. That's amazing! As an adoptive mom, I always loving hearing how families react to and rejoice in opening their families up to children.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I think a lot of people would call that just a coinicidence, but I don't see why it should be. Why *wouldn't* God take an opportunity like that to speak to you? :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. wow, what a cool story. When my husband and I were dating, he once realized that his ex-girlfriend (whom he had dated for something like 3 years)'s name was on a street sign on his way to my house. We giggled at how it was a fun little "sign" that God's plan is perfect. I'm so glad God sent you two street signs and that your in laws took it perfectly!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love that even when we are not looking directly for God he is looking out directly for us - great post!!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. That is SO cool. Doesn't it kinda make you want to go back and see if those streets are still named the same, or if that was just for you??

    God is seriously SO cool.

    ReplyDelete
  21. This is so amazing. Wow. Isn't it cool how God can speak to us in the most extraordinary ways? Wow!

    ReplyDelete
  22. God is good to not only lead us but give us signs that we took the right path. Praising Him tonight.

    Kat

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you think!