Monday, March 15, 2010

The Camping Bag (Republished)

***This was originally published on March 18, 2009***

We are camping for the end of this Spring Break week. Actually combining a trip to Sea World with a camping trip that my husband and oldest son have been dreaming of for months and months. This afternoon I told my 3 year old daughter we needed to pack for our camping trip. I set a bag in her room and before I could pack it, I got distracted in another part of the house.


I returned a few minutes later to find this.

Behold my daughter's bag all packed for camping:

13 things I'd like to say about this picture:
  1. Yes, that is a fairy princess wand, along with her blankie, a couple books, a little doll and a stuffed rabbit.
  2. Clearly she has no idea what she is in for with this camping thing.
  3. Or maybe she does. The wand could actually come in handy to transform our freezing, sleeping on the ground, bug tortured selves into palace dwellers!
  4. I think she's crazy for packing this bag for camping, but how crazy are her parents for going camping with our 3 kids ages 6, 3, and 1?!!!
  5. I'm not really sure how I got roped into this camping adventure.
  6. It began as a day trip to Sea World, 3 hrs there, 3 hrs back, and we'd all sleep soundly in our own cozy beds after an exciting, fun-filled day.
  7. Then it became "let's combine this trip with the camping dream that our oldest child has had" (and also his dad). My husband even persuaded me with shopping -- "Then we could stop by that great outlet mall the next day before heading home!" he said.
  8. I thought, "Okay, I can stand anything for one night, especially if there is shopping at the end of it."
  9. Then somehow it became 2 nights and my husband practically bought out the REI store, even a 2 room tent!
  10. Now, to justify his purchases (which include both cold weather and warm weather sleeping bags for every member of our family!) he is talking about camping a few times a year!
  11. Did I mention that I'm not a big fan of camping? Mostly because I am a fan of personal hygiene and climate control and sleeping more than a couple inches from my 3 children!
  12. And now I'm signed up for a lifetime (yes the tent is guaranteed to last a lifetime) of camping.
  13. But, I am thankful, in advance, for the family memories that this camping is sure to create! One thing I am sure of. The camping adventure -- it will be memorable!!!

1 comment:

  1. I hope you do adapt to it - there is something about just being outdoors like that (unless it rains, of course) that is so freeing...happy travels!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you think!