Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Getting the Clean Off

My 3 year old is going through an intense phase of needing pretty much constant attention from me.

I realize this is largely due to his favorite playmates from the summertime, his big brother and sister, going off to school from 8am to 3pm every day without him. And he's not used to entertaining himself, the older kids have been around telling him what, when, where, and how to play. And although he doesn't say he misses them, what he does say is, "Mommy, play with me!" "Mommy, where are you?!!!!!" (if I disappear from his sight for even 6 seconds!) "Mommy come with me to my room to get my Big Duke." "Mommy wait for me!" "Mommy, don't go upstairs without me!" "Mommy, you left me!!" (If I sneak away to unload the dishwasher or, gasp, go to the bathroom without him!)

I wonder if this phase is God getting me ready for our next child, who we will adopt and will likely need nearly constant attention from me to attempt to catch up for the attention she lacked while in an orphanage.

I know this phase will pass for my 3 year old son, and so although it is tiring, I am trying to savor the sweetness because I know he won't be my constant companion forever. I just pray he outgrows the neediness before the next child joins our family!

And I can still appreciate the humor of it all. The wanting Mommy every waking moment played out like this on a recent morning:

I went to get in the shower and my 3 year old protested, "No! You're already clean!" I assured him I was not and got in the shower.

He proceeded to scream through the shower door over and over again, "You're already clean!!!"

and then after about 2 minutes of that it switched to, "You're getting the clean off!"

"Mom! You're getting the clean off!"

For all the peace and relaxation he drains from my life, he certainly fills it with laughs!

Find more Thankful Thursday.

9 comments:

  1. That was SO funny! I love the things they say when they're that age!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahaha I just had to laugh right out loud at this...soo cute. Have a wonderful day...

    ReplyDelete
  3. So cute! Kids are hard work and oh so tiring, but at the same time a HUGE blessing!

    Happy TT! You can visit my TT Post at: http://bookandyarn.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL That is too cute!!! Kids can say some funny things! Will say a prayer for you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We have the same thing going on here! LOL!! My 3yr old son's three older sisters are now in school and I didn't recognize what he was doing until I read this post. I completely separated this phase from his sisters going to school, but I'm sure you are exactly right! :) There has been a lot of "Mommy play with me" and "no, don't go (shower/bathroom/laundry)..." I completely feel ya on this one! But, like you said - it is sweet and it's nice to enjoy it while it lasts...sort of. ha ha

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a funny little story. Some of the things that our children come out with is priceless.

    Hope you are having a blessed week, and so is your 3 yr old. :)

    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful post, kids are too cute and say funny things!

    Thank you for sharing and happy TT!

    Blessings,
    Misty

    ReplyDelete
  8. Really cute!!! There are so cute at this age =D Thanks for sharing!!!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you think!