Thursday, January 19, 2012

Too Tired To Title

One night this week our 3 year old, only home from Ethiopia a few weeks, was coughing. While she slept I set up the humidifier right near the bed, hoping to ease the cough. Little girl woke up a few minutes later pointing and screaming at the humidifier, deathly afraid! 

Epic parenting fail! What was I thinking? She'd never seen a humidifier before, much less one shaped like ours! She woke up to the equivalent of a smoke-breathing penguin standing right next to her bed!



___________________

I have a million blog topics I'd like to write on, but I'm lacking in the time and energy department.  I remember a few years back I blogged on wanting a scribe (no time at all to look up where or when that post was to link to it), you know someone to follow me around all day, enduring the loud, messy, and occasionally hazardous conditions of my mothering 4 young children job, and ready to record a blog post whenever inspiration strikes me.  All for no pay, of course!  Because my homemaker job pays me exactly zero dollars!  Now accepting applications!

___________________

For nearly the last 2 months, every day my 4 year old son has told me the same exact piece of information about himself.

He says at some point every day, "Mom, do you know what my 2 worstest holidays are?  They are Halloween and Thanksgiving"

"Halloween because there's scarey stuff and Thanksgiving because you have to keep eating the same foods over and over again!"

I promise that I only served Thanksgiving leftovers 3 times after the main meal and some of those were lunches!  But, it seems the leftovers scarred my little guy for life!

___________________

I'm currently blogging this while sharing the couch with an unfolded load of laundry.  Just thought you'd like to know my priorities are clearly in order!




Mommy's Idea

12 comments:

  1. I can't stop laughing about the smoke breathing penguin! That will be a great "when you were little...." story. I know that she was scared at the time and that you felt terrible but someday that will be a great story!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ya....you got your priorities in the right order if you ask me!!! Heck, sometimes I have been known to have laundry in a basket, unfolded, for days!!

    Area 51 [scroll down]

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heh! I am glad you are preparing your children for therapy years from now. The penguin cracks me up!

    ReplyDelete
  4. haha...love your son's two "worstest" holidays are...and well the smoking penguin is pretty funny too. Poor little thing. Can you imagine? I think you are doing great! At least the laundry is washed and dried. ENJOY your week-end! HUGS

    ReplyDelete
  5. You should have put a spew alert on your first frag...I now have tea on my screen...

    ReplyDelete
  6. God help me I giggled reading your first paragraph. {enter shocked face}

    A smoke breathing penguin. I don't why that's funny. I have small children, and an adopted one as well. But I giggled. I need one of those humidifiers, they are cute.

    Happy Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  7. so the penguin would be TERRIFYING!!! BUT......i slept with my daughter clinging to my neck for the first 3 months and woke to her screaming frantically every single night, only to find (when she started speaking english)that each door (bathroom, and 2 closet, & entry) looked like black holes where she was afraid of monkeys jumping out and trying to bite her. which is apparently happened in ethiopia. how sad is that?? and how could i not have gotten THAT the first couple of nights. poor thing....once i put her in her own room and own bed she slept through the night.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've never seen a penguin humidifier before either - - - I think even I might be panic stricken to wake up and see it pointing it's beak right down my nose!

    Hehehehehe

    Great story.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think the penguin is quite cute! But I can see how it might be scary to a three year old.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice (the priorities). A girl's gotta have a little fun, right?!

    Aw, the penguin humidifier story is funny (sorry). I'm looking forward to reading more about your new daughter's adjustment.

    Thanks for linking up. I'm with you in spirit :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, and I absolutely loved your title--I have so been there!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you think!