Thursday, June 11, 2009

Life Changing Book

I'm hooked on the book The Hiding Place by Corrie Ten Boom.

Not "hooked" in the sense that I read it every day, but "hooked" in the sense that I have thought about it nearly every day since I first read it about 14 months ago. A Finer Thing, indeed! It is a must read!

The book is the true story of the Ten Boom family who lived in The Netherlands during WWII times when the Nazis took over. The Ten Booms were a Christian family and upon seeing the atrocities going on around them to Jewish people, they made a decision to help, rather than look the other way. They not only saved physical lives, but brought the eternal life saving message of Jesus to countless people in the most desperate situations.

There are so many points worth discussing and admiring about this book, I couldn't possibly list them all -- the way God used this family to be lights in such a dark time, the way they stepped out in faith and helped even at the risk of their own lives, the way they prayed for guidance constantly, the amazing ways God works in their story over and over again even through something like fleas!

I like to think that if I had lived in a Nazi-occupied area during those days that I would have helped, taken in those who sought refuge in my home. But, are there not comparable atrocities going on in our world today? And what am I doing to help? I do various volunteer work, give money, pray.

But is it enough?

I believe until there is no more suffering or until Jesus returns, the answer is no!

What would Jesus say? At the end of His story of the Good Samaritan who showed mercy by caring for one in need, Jesus tells those he's teaching,
"Go and do the same." Luke 10:37b


Find more Finer Things Friday at The Finer Things in Life, and Hooked on Fridays at Hooked on Houses.

9 comments:

  1. Oh, yes, I remember reading this book as a teenager and it really is powerful. Thanks for reminding me about it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Books can stay with us and delight us and haunt us... I found this to be so true about this one as well. Fantastic book.

    Im hooked on several.

    TTFN~~Claudia

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved reading that book. I haven't read it in years though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have an amazing connection to this book.... I read it several times in high school/growing up.... We moved to Germany in 2005 for my husband's work. I decided to read the book again... Just as gripping and challenging the 3rd time around I think. Right after I finished the book, we decided to take a "sunday drive" out in the countryside around Berlin... No plans, just kind of wherever the road would lead us. We winded up in a cute country town with a lake. As we were driving, I started seeing police cars everywhere. And then we passed a sign that says "ravensbruck". The name sounded familiar and then I remembered! RAVENBRUCK! That is where Corrie and Betsy were taken to. It "just so happened" to be the 60th anniversary of the liberation of Ravensbruck that day. I still get chills remembering this right now. We drove up and got out to walk around. The camp was full of Ravensbruck survivors from all over Europe. It was one of the most moving, memorable days of my life. There were red carnations laid in strategic places, places where the survivors remembered significant things happening. I remember standing there and just visualizing the place as Corrie described it in her book. I could see it. And as I walked around and looked at their faces, I couldn't help but wonder if they had known her and betsy. I would have given my right arm to have been able to communicate in Polish, Yiddish or German at that point. Some of the survivors were sharing their stories. I will never forget that day in all my life.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That book had a proufound impact on me as well though I read it many years ago. Wonderful post and such GOOD reminders. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's been years since I read that, but I agree, it's a must read. Life changing, really. Thanks for the reminder. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's a beautiful book.

    Remember that Corrie was in her fifties when her normal, quiet life was turned upside down.
    We just don't know what will be asked of us until the very end!

    God bless!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've not read that book. Sounds like I need to! Thanks for linking up to Finer Things Friday. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. It really does sound like a great book. I love to read so I will check it out.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you think!