Wednesday, July 29, 2009

His Favorite Chore!

13 Explanations for this picture:

1. Anyone remember this post of mine about making the punishment fit the crime?

2. A consequence I came up with for my son and daughter gleefully using the phrase "poopy diapers" for fun several times per day just to be gross was that since they were so interested in poopy diapers, they would help me change their little brother's next dirty diaper.

3. When the time to change the diaper came, my 6 year old son whom I love very much, but who is as stubborn as a mule, said, "I'm not doing it."

4. He challenges me daily and has since, well, infancy, but this time I didn't miss a beat. I replied with, "If you will not help your sister and me change this diaper then you can empty the entire Diaper Genie trash by yourself."

5. My logic was if he refused the consequence of changing the one dirty diaper, then a bigger consequence would be to deal with a lot of dirty diapers, some even having the benefit of a few days to really earn their stench!

6. My son happily agreed to do the diaper trash changing! I talked him through how to do it and went off to complete the diaper change with my nearly 4 year old daughter's help. She used approximately 26 wipes to clean up her brother, but didn't mind the process at all. It was perhaps a bigger punishment for my toddler as the diaper change took 3 times longer than if I did it!

7. My 6 year old took the diaper trash all the way to the outside trash can and then declared he wanted the diaper trash to be his regular chore!

8. I agreed that was a super idea!

9. And then wondered if he truly enjoyed the chore or if his excitement about it was all just to spite me, since it was intended as a punishment.

10. He has enthusiastically changed the diaper trash every time it has needed it (roughly 4 times) since!

11. In fact, he complains more about setting the table than the diaper trash!

12. And the "poopy diaper" phrase has lost its luster and appeal as a randomly squealed kid phrase around the house!

13. For that and passing on the diaper trash chore to my son, I am abundantly thankful!


Check out Thankful Thursday, Thousand Words Thursday, Thursday Thirteen, Things I love Thursday.

15 comments:

  1. My son would simply have refused anything I told him to do. Wanna trade?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so glad those days are behind me lol Bless you. Happy T13!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope he sets the table BEFORE taking out the diapers to the dumpster.

    My Thursday's road signs & slogans are posted...come on over if you need some laughter!

    Happy 13'ing!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Too funny!
    Happy Thursday!
    http://iamharriet.blogspot.com/2009/07/dont-ya-love-thursdays.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. Isn't that funny? What you intended as punishment, he took as a cool new chore. And we wonder why we can't figure men out?

    Great TT post! God Bless!

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOL I had to chuckle that he likes to take out the poopy trash!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. How funny...lovin' the poopy trash!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wish mine would do that :) Only one more year till none in diapers...sigh...

    ReplyDelete
  9. LOL that was funny and the poopie diaper disposal is a unique idea... I could just imagine when I will have kids of my own...

    Passing by from TT

    ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! I wonder how long he will keep that up!

    If you have time later, come by my ATWT post and say hello!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm so happy for you! It's hit and miss with what will help the situation and not make it worse, isn't it? Lol! Right now, my boys are infatuated with fart noises. Seriously. I sure hope they grow out of it someday!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you think!