Thursday, July 30, 2009

With His help I can help

In Proverbs 31:9b, God tells us to "defend the rights of the afflicted and needy".

I have taken a break from my volunteer job with Child Advocates while my children are out of school for the summer, but as the school year approaches I will take on a new case. I have begun praying that God will equip, guide, and use me in whatever I am assigned. I have felt and do feel so helpless when faced with the thought of children suffering. But, during my last 7 years of doing this volunteer work as a court appointed special advocate for kids who have been removed from their homes for abuse, God has shown me how even I can help by:

1. Visiting children in the home of their relatives, where they were sent by the state after their mother neglected them, and discovering one of the children was being physically abused in that placement and being able to request and make sure that the children be moved out of the abusive placement.

2. Staging a birthday celebration for a little girl turning 6 who had never had a birthday party before!

3. Spending 3 nights in the hospital with a 6 month old baby girl who would have otherwise been alone in her ordeal.

4. Sitting in their home and listening as grandparents anguished over their child's mistakes and came to grips with the reality that they are the only suitable caregivers for their grandchild.

5. Helping ease the financial burden on foster parents by delivering Christmas gifts to the children.

6. Counseling a teenage mother on steps she needs to take to get her life in order and be able to parent her children.

7. Testifying in court to be sure that the best interests of the children are heard.


I have blogged before about the amazing young woman named Katie Davis, and, she says on her blog:

"It is easy to look to God and ask, 'Why is there so much poverty in the world? Why is there so much hurt, so much inequality and unfairness, so much destitution?' I bet He would ask us the same thing."

I find that thought so convicting it hurts!


Find more Finer Things Friday at The Finer Things in Life, Hooked on Fridays at Hooked on Houses, 7 Quick Takes Friday at Conversion Diary,

5 comments:

  1. What a great message! I am visiting via Hooked on Houses.
    Please drop by and enter my giveaway.

    Have a blessed weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a very convicting post. And the quote at the end is so good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just want to thank you for serving these beautiful children in this way. I have two little foster kiddos myself and I would love to have someone that I know is fighting for them in the court system. Blessings to you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great quote! You're right - it does line up with Helen Keller's quote quite well. Excellent thoughts and thank you for serving these families in this way - you are making a difference!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had no idea what a court appointed special advocate even did. Thanks for opening my eyes to this ministry!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you think!