Thursday, May 8, 2014

Somebody . . .

Somebody had a visit to the beauty shop this week for a much needed haircut and it wasn't me!   Actually, now that I think about it, I'm not sure what it says about my life that I pay THREE TIMES the amount to get the dog's haircut as I do when I get my own haircut.


The bows were a nice surprise when we picked her up from the groomer, they've never done more than a bandana, but they bows went about as well as we expected they would.  They lasted all of 3 hours before she managed to scratch them out!


Bows are just not really her thing.
________________________________

Somebody needs to convince my 8 year old to free the silverfish!  Yes, it is still alive after over a week!  


It survived a near drowning by my 5 year old daughter who decided it needed "some water" while her big sister was at school and dumped water from her water bottle into the bug habitat.  I didn't realize what had happened until a few hours later when we noticed the silverfish didn't look so good and was submerged under water.  We emptied the water, but there were a tense few hours where we weren't sure if "Unknown" the Silverfish was going to make it and there were some dramatic, "YOU killed my silverfish!!!!" exclamations from big sister to little sister that I had to mediate.  BUT that silverfish rallied and survived!

However, in my opinion, not only is the silverfish gross, it just seems to be living a sad existence stuck there in the bug habitat.  Hence the need for somebody to convince my daughter to LET IT GO!

The bug girl at work:

________________________________

Speaking of LET IT GO, somebody (sadly it was me) got assigned to the FACE PAINTING table when I volunteered at the preschool Outdoor Day last Friday.  Y'all, I cannot draw well on paper, much less the cheek of a small, squirming child!  It was not pretty.  AT ALL!  

And it didn't help that EVERY! SINGLE! little girl wanted something Frozen Movie related on their cheek!

I finally lost any shame and just told the kids I could do a snake, a rainbow, or a flower and if they wanted anything else they'd have to wait on one of the other 3 moms who were totally rocking the face painting -- seriously they were like professionals!  I was like, "How exactly did you get so good at face painting?  Is this a craft that you practice regularly?"  "Did I miss a training class or something?"
________________________________

 Somebody tried out and made it onto the swim team this week:


Little Girl is SO EXCITED to be swimming on the team like her big brothers and sister!  

I was totally over-confident about the try-outs because of my 4 kids she is BY FAR my best swimmer as a 5 year old and the rest of them all made the team when they were 5 years old.  But it was kinda dicey in the tryouts, and I had a moment of panic!  They asked Little Girl to swim "Freestyle", she jumped in and began wildly doggy-paddling.  I have seen her swim really well, so I knew something was up.  It dawned on me that she didn't know what the term "Freestyle" meant.  So I yelled, "Do your big arms and big kicks!"  And then she swam a beautiful freestyle complete with side breathing the entire length of the pool without stopping!  And was then able to do a lap of backstroke, too!

I asked her later if she knew what they meant when they said, "Freestyle" and she said, "No".  But, I'm not at all sure why doggy-paddling was what she decided to try!
________________________________

Happy Mother's Day to all the mamas out there!  May you be richly blessed with breakfast in bed, a clean house, and homemade cards!



Half-Past Kissin' Time

5 comments:

  1. Congrats to your little swimmer!!

    Happy Mother's Day to you too!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rooting on the swim team tryouts :)
    Look at that silver fish! That's so funny its still surviving!
    We just got a price for a groomer that comes to your home in a mobile unit - for 2 dogs, & 1 dog just a bath? $300 - WHAT????

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats to Little Girl! MY kids would not have known what Free Style meant either!
    And how is that crazy Silver Fish still alive?
    Happy Mother's Day!
    :-)
    Traci

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats to Little Girl for making the team! LOL … never thought I would say this but poor little silverfish.
    Have a wonderful Mother's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The doggie paddling made me chuckle! Congrats!

    I hope you can stop by to visit and maybe even join in my favorite color swap:

    http://collettaskitchensink.blogspot.com/2014/05/tea-time-4914.html

    Colletta

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you think!