Monday, January 11, 2010

Dare to Care

Over the past 8 years as I've volunteered working with abused children I have had several opportunities to tell other people about what I do and more times than I can count I've gotten the following reply, "Oh, I could never do that, it would be too upsetting to hear about children being hurt."

I've never responded with more than a forced, polite smile but what I want to say is, "What?!! Innocent children are living lives of abuse day after day and you're worried about injuring your mind by
hearing about it? If you would endure the discomfort of caring about their pain you could very likely help change their life for the better."

And the truth is it is hard and life-changing to step into the lives of hurting people. It will keep you awake some nights. It will change how you spend your time, your money, and who your friends are.

But I can guarantee that when you enter the world of the least, the last, the forgotten, you will find Jesus!

I'm not sure I can really describe the wild emotional ride my husband and I have been on as we've entered into the journey of adopting a child from Ethiopia. I feel like in the process of learning about the orphan crisis and the heart-breaking true stories of so many children around the world, and deciding to adopt one child, my heart has grown several sizes.

The good part is that I now passionately care about people and things that before I spent maybe a few minutes in total my whole life worrying about. But the bad part is that along with the capacity to care for and love people who are suffering half-way around the world from me, comes the fact that I hurt for them.

But you know what? The hurt I feel is good because it motivates me to do something to make things better for them.

"Once our eyes are opened we can't pretend we don't know what to do. God, who weighs our hearts and keeps our souls, knows that we know and holds us responsible to act." Proverbs 24:12

A book that has been key to "opening my eyes" is Red Letters: Living a Faith That Bleeds by Tom Davis and in honor of the 1 year anniversary of this blog I'm giving away a copy of the book to one of you! To be eligible for the prize all you have to do is agree to read the book if you win it. If you are interested, leave me a comment on this post with the words, "I will read it" somewhere in your comment. I'll randomly select a winner and next Monday I'll announce who it is here on the blog.

Tom Davis graciously provided the book for this giveaway in order to get the word out about the work his organization, Children's Hopechest is doing bringing God's hope and love to orphans around the world. If you'd like to find out more about Children's Hopechest and what you can do to help check out his blog here.


This post is part of the Moms' 30-Minute Blog Challenge.

Find more Gratituesday and Spiritual Sunday.

21 comments:

  1. So glad I started reading your blog; you've challenged me in many ways this year. I would love to read that book. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've heard about this book and should I be your lucky winner, I WILL READ IT! Blessings on your journey.

    ReplyDelete
  3. After adopting two ptecious children from a 3rd World Country, I know exactly what you mean.....

    ReplyDelete
  4. People can blurt out the strangest things when confronted with something from "out of the box". Bless you for doing what you do- and for not smacking people.

    I bet some of those (non-smacked) people have walked away troubled and started really thinking for the first time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have found your blog totally entertaining, thought provoking and inspiring. I think what you are doing is WONDERFUL and love that you are able and willing to do auch a thing. I am totally curious about this book and would definitely read it, and I will pray with you that whoever it is the Lord would WANT to read it will win your giveawy...Hugs, Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Boy, isn't that the truth! It is a lot easier to pretend it doesn't exist than to help one in need but what blessings we cheat ourselves of if we never take the leap of faith that the Lord will enlarge our hearts and wipe our tears if we give ourselves over to helping the ones he loves. My husband and I found that out on our journey to adopt an abused child. How the Lord grew us, our faith and I believe it made us better parents to the children we have been blessed with.

    I would be more than thrilled to read this book. Thanks for sharing and thanks for loving His children enough to help.

    Kat

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love to read, and I've been reading a lot of books lately that have been bringing me down... really raw, gritty, depressing material. I'd love to get my hands on something uplifting.

    I would DEFINITELY read this book!

    ~Elizabeth
    Confessions From A Working Mom

    ReplyDelete
  8. I came over from Steady Mom and have enjoyed looking around your blog. Over the past year or two, God's really been teaching me about children in poverty. If I win your giveaway, I will read it. I've heard great things about Tom Davis and one of this other books, Fields of the Fatherless.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am still thinking about what you wrote. My husband is a Pastor so we hear from alot of hurting people. I think the hardest part of it all, is not hearing about it, but the fact that sometimes there really isn't anything you can do. Those are the times it hurts.
    I would read the book.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I would love to read this book. My husband and I had a hard time conceiving and were in the begining stages of adoption when I found out I was pregnant...that is still very much on our hearts and something we would both still to pursue. I love how you "trained" your daughter to have such a heart for others. I have been trying to pray with my daugther before she goes to bed each night and adding in a prayer for others, in there. I pray that she will grow up to have a heart like your daugther seems to have!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Not only will I READ THIS BOOK, but afterwards, I'd pass it on to one of my readers to pay it forward!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Truth be told I think some folk just open their mouths and the words fall out. Nary a thought insight, let alone a thoughtful one!!! Good for you for persisting!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. "I WILL READ THIS BOOK". We are embarking on a journey similar to yours. I can't wait to read more about your process. I would love to read this book. If I am not the randomly selected winner, I am going to purchase this book. I think it is something I really need to be reading. Thank you for sharing. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Absolutely...if I won it, I will read it! We are beginning to learn about and consider adoption (well, I am...still waiting on God to move my husband in this direction) and that sounds like a fantastic book to read right now!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I think what you are doing is wonderful and I admire it. I especially love the heart you are cultivating in your children. I pray every night that my children will be caring and kind, but you are actually showing them how to be. I would read this book!

    ReplyDelete
  16. How wonderful you are adopting a child from Ethiopia. The book sounds very interesting. I would definitely read it.
    Blessings,
    Charlotte

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a wonderful post and I must admit it shown an area of light of which I had not been aware. I assure you, I will read the book. In fact I'm sure I will also post about it.
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  18. Don't count me in on your generous giveaway; I have so many books waiting to be read and reviewed. Let some other person win it, but thank you for offering.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wonderful post filled with a message we all need to hear and act upon.....I will read the book and review it on my blog if selected.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I have always had a special place in my heart for those who adopt. I will keep you and your family in my prayers. I love your header it is so cute.
    Blessings,
    Ginger

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you think!