Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Pondering Potty-Training


At least the stuffed bulldog is potty-trained!

Remember my toddler's new year's resolution? Well, we're nearly 1 week in and there has been significant progress, but we are still very much in the thick of the process!

So from the trenches I share with you. . .

13 Signs You May Be a Potty-Training Mama:

1. Your 2 year old jumps up in excitement after filling an entire toddler potty with pee-pee, grabs the potty bowl in an eager attempt to dump it into the big potty but accidentally dumps it in your lap instead and you manage to still clap & cheer, "Hooray!!! You went pee-pee in the potty!"

2. You have made up a song that goes, "Pee-pee in the potty, pee-pee in the potty, let's go pee-pee in the potty!"

3. And you sing it loudly whenever your toddler demands.

4. You have also enlisted your older children to join in the chorus!

5. You can quickly calculate the amount of time before your toddler will need to go pee-pee based on the minutes since he last went combined with the critical factors of when he last drank something and volume of beverage consumed!

6. You have washed the car seat cover more times in the last month than in the previous 2 years combined!

7. You begin to think really mean thoughts about the mothers you've heard say, "She just potty-trained herself one day!"

8. You spend a good portion of a day wondering if and worrying that your house smells like urine!

9. When your neighbor stops by you debate asking her if she thinks your house smells like pee, but ultimately you chicken-out.

10. You create a "special seat" which is a folded up towel your toddler must stay on whenever he sits on your couch.

11. You begin rewarding your older children with M&Ms when they go potty in the hopes it will inspire your toddler to do the same!

12. You begin treating yourself to M&Ms when you go potty!

13. When you go potty and your toddler wildly claps and cheers, "Hooray, Mommy, you went pee-pee in the potty!" it occurs to you that nobody else in the entire world would ever praise you for that accomplishment and you are overwhelmed with love and thankfulness for that little potty-training toddler!


Find more Thankful Thursday, Thursday Thirteen, and Thousand Words Thursday at Cheaper Than Therapy

18 comments:

  1. Oh, funny. I remember those days. I used to bribe with Hot Wheel and Match Box Cars. ;) I got a whole bunch at a garage sale. We may still have a few of them somewhere. Anyway, good luck to you and thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love #7. Well, they are are good and right on the money. You captured potty training perfectly. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok, I'll do #13 along with baby! Plus you deserve it with this funny post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. iam holding my sides , identifying and laughing profusely wonderful post sandy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Having just made it through this stage 4 months ago, I am completely with you! I still do #5.

    My 4 pound bag of M&Ms is almost gone...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just can't get beyond the first one....hooray indeed. But oh such a picture this conjures in my head. LOL

    My list of 13 is posted now. It's "If you are from Colorado you know....". It's HERE But, if you wish to stop by to visit you'll find the 13 below my newest pencil sketch, scroll down a bit.

    Have a super Thursday.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love this and remember how true it was! I also remember praising my 25 year old for going "pee-pee on the potty" after spending seven weeks in the hospital after brain surgery, having a catheter all that time - it was a miracle that she could do it herself!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I wrote about this on Tuesday and LMAO, we're using the same potty!

    ReplyDelete
  9. this is funny. I had fun reading your list. :)

    Happy T13!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Too funny! My oldest grandson is about ready to start training. I don't envy my bonus daughter!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Clapping and M&Ms are must haves for potty training!

    ReplyDelete
  12. HAHAHA @ #12!! Congrats on Ethiopia... email me anytime! I'd love to keep in touch!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I like to treat myself to M&Ms for a lot of things :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. this list will become very useful with our little one getting to the age of potty training

    ReplyDelete
  15. ahhh...still laughing (I read it twice, the second time out loud to my hubby).

    ReplyDelete
  16. We give everybody an M & m when our potty boy goes potty. When we all get a treat, then we all encourage him to go more often.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you think!