Wednesday, January 27, 2010

The First 28 Minutes of My Day

13 Snippets from my morning:

7:00 am - (It is a non-Shred work-out day because I plan to run later in the morning with the jogging stroller.) I wake-up to the sounds of feet pounding down the stairs. I hear my 2 year old telling my husband who is already in the kitchen, "There's dirt in my bed! Somebody need get dirt out!" I instantly know it is not "dirt" in the toddler's bed, but likely poop from an overflowing diaper. Pull covers up to my chin. Do I have to get up?

7:03 am - Realize no other mom is showing up today, so I must do the job. I get up, put on running clothes and begin working on packing 6 year old's lunchbox with all his favorite things, just like the day before

7:10 am - Husband tells me, "He didn't eat any of his lunch yesterday. I unpacked it all last night and just some of the bread was eaten, nothing else."

7:13 am - I'm feeling the joy of packing a lunch that may return to me uneaten. Instead of writing, "Have a SUPER day. Love, Mom" on the napkin for the lunchbox, I write, "EAT YOUR LUNCH! Love, Mom"

7:14 am - Pour myself some cereal and coffee and head into dining room where my 3 children and husband are already happily eating breakfast.

7:15 am - Am OVERWHELMED by the smell of poop! And amazed that everyone is eating and nobody seems at all bothered by the smell! "Does Toddler have a dirty diaper?" I ask (Toddler still wears a diaper for sleeping). "Don't you smell that?!!"

7:16 am - Husband does not, in fact, smell that, but does manage to lean over to check the diaper status of the toddler sitting next to him. "He's not wearing a diaper!"

7:17 am - The realization hits. Toddler got his bath early last night and was put in jammies without a diaper since he'd still be awake for a while. Then when we put him to bed we didn't think to put the diaper on since he usually gets the diaper with the jammies. Suddenly the "dirt" in his bed makes perfect sense to me. My husband still doesn't get it. "Yeah, I didn't know what he meant about the 'dirt'"

7:18 am - Because I have already poured the milk on my cereal and not had even one swallow of coffee, I opt to try to finish a few bites of breakfast before dealing with the situation.

7:19 am - Toddler is done eating, gets out of his chair, and comes over to me. Toddler wants to sit on my lap! Smell is overwhelming! Breakfast is over!

7:21 am - Toddler gets hosed off in the bathtub.

7:25 am - I head into Toddler's room in total fear of what I'll find.

7:28 am - Thankfully not too bad, as poop hunts go anyway (yes, having 3 children it is not my 1st experience with such things). Fairly easily cleaned up, all the while explaining to my 4 year old daughter why there was poop on the floor. Sheets and jammies in the washer on hot with the color-safe bleach. Bathtub needs a bleach treatment, too!

What can I say? It's a glamorous job!


Find more Thankful Thursday & Thursday Thirteen

21 comments:

  1. UGH! OMGOSH I can just imagine the horrific smell. Glad you didn't bring your breakfast back up. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, LOL! What a day! Attalife! It's so unfair how this is funny to the reader but not to one who's actually there. But I've been there, too, and all I can say is, "congratulations, sister, you're doing great!"
    I'm thankful for you, you give me much-needed relief! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  3. : )
    I have you all added to Ethiopian Adoption Blogs. Thanks for being a part of it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL...been there, done that...WAY too many times to count...Lots of mothering is just the pits, but soo worth it in the long run. I think you are doing a wonderful job. Hugs, Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  5. They say you'll look back on these moments and laugh. Maybe. I still remember the day I went to get my baby from her nap and found the crib and wallpaper had been given a pooh paint job. There's a lot of things I remember fondly and laugh about now. But 40 years has passed and that one's still, shall we say, a little stinky.

    My TT is More Than Enough

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOL!! When the day starts like that, you HOPE it can only get better!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my, what a way to start things. I know that it is not funny, but your post sure gave me a chuckle! Have a great rest of your week!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh no...I'm such NOT a morning person I don't know how I'll handle these situations someday. I may have to mentally coach myself to act like you and just get the job done!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I laughed out loud and nodded in agreement as I read your chronology. Thanks for sharing your morning so creatively!

    ReplyDelete
  10. O gosh- this is hilarious- I only have two girls (2 1/2 and 1) but your life (and your thoughts/reactions to it!) sound SOOO much like my own. This had me laughing the whole way through 'cause I could totally relate!!

    By the way my sis just told me about the "shred" yesterday and I just ordered it on amazon two minutes ago!! She swears by it (having just had baby no. 2 herself!) I also enjoy jogging, but it doesn't seem to be getting rid of the baby jiggle around the middle if you know what I mean!!

    just found your blog and am enjoying it!! New to the blogging world myself...please stop by and say hi!! It feels a little lonely in the beginning!!

    cheers to a good mommy day!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ahhh the joys of being a mother!.....well, obviously these aren't the joys, but we work through these things to get to the joys.

    Hope you day goes by more smoothly!

    Happy TT!

    (by the way...the picture down below of the washing machine-too cute!)

    ReplyDelete
  12. what a morning you are allready having I am so happy that you are the type of person who can be thankful in all walks

    ReplyDelete
  13. Those were the days, can't say I miss those poop accidents. ~ Calico Contemplations

    ReplyDelete
  14. Glamorous, indeed! Lol! One of these days, I'm going to be hiding under the covers and decide NOT to come out!

    Thanks for the smiles tonight. I hope your day got better.

    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  15. Can I just tell you that I love you!?! This post made me laugh out loud. I even made my husband pretend to pay attention as I read it to him. Thanks for sharing. You are just such a great mom.

    ReplyDelete
  16. A morning in the life of a mom :)

    Thanks for the laugh.

    ReplyDelete
  17. That's funny my friend. And I say that will love and from experience! LOL!

    You should link this one up to Friday Funnies! LOL
    HUGS
    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  18. I think I should write little lunch notes to my kids... thanks for the tip.

    Here's mine. Enjoy your weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  19. You are adorable.

    I forget what it's like to have little one and dealing with the "dirt" in the bed *grin*

    God bless you hugs, Lynn

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you think!