Wednesday, March 3, 2010

God Bless Texas!


I'd like to share a little culture with those of you who may not be from around these parts. It's rodeo time here in Texas and I couldn't be happier to be a Texan!

To help you understand, I give you 13 things I love about this rodeo season:

1. This is the one of time of year when you do actually see horse-drawn wagons on the roads. I realize (because I've met them before) there are people who think this is how Texas is all the time, but believe it or not we do have cars!

2. At the rodeo not only can you see calf roping, barrel racing, and bull riding, but also mutton bustin' where (I'm not kidding) kids ages 5 and 6 years old attempt to ride a "mutton" or sheep the longest! At least the parents who allow their babies to hang on the back of a running, bucking sheep have the good sense to put helmets on them 1st, or maybe that's just because the event coordinators require it!

3. Rodeo season gives us all an excuse to wear western clothes and is there anything cuter than little cowgirls and cowboys?


4. Not only do they serve BBQ at the rodeo, but fried Oreos.

5. And funnel cake sundaes (because a regular funnel cake is not fattening enough, you must add ice cream and chocolate sauce and whipped cream!)

6. And chocolate dipped cheesecake

7. And all kinds of food on a stick that you never imagined could be served on a stick!

8. The livestock show is the only place I know where you can see pigs worth $140,000 and steers worth $300,000. Here's my daughter a couple years ago staring at the grand champion steer that would later auction for around $300,00. She decided she liked it so much, "Daddy, can I have him?"

9. At the livestock show my kids can see real milking demonstrations -- "so that's where our milk comes from!"

10. They also have a birthing center where you can see baby pigs, cows, sheep, horses, etc. that are just days old! So cute!

11. You can cheer on your favorite pig in the pig races!

12. The petting zoo provides all kinds of opportunities for strengthening your kids' immune systems!

13. And if all that were not enough, there is a huge carnival, too, with rides and fun houses and games that are nearly impossible to win but grown men pay tons of money to play over and over again in order to win a cheap stuffed animal!


Find more Thankful Thursday, Thursday Thirteen , Things I Love Thursday & A Thousand Words Thursday.

24 comments:

  1. I LOVE chocolate dipped cheesecake.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great post! Happy Thankful Thursday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh how fun! There is a rodeo in Nj that i keep sayign we'll take the kids to...you have possibly convinced me to do it this year :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Horse-drawn wagons! How charming! I love activities and sights that reflect history.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh I love this post...and chocolate dipped cheesecake? Sounds divine!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awww! I miss my son not being that age! How lovely their cowboy/girl outfits are! :)

    Here is my Thursday 13

    Hope you can drop by and say hello!

    Sassy
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fried Oreos? Chocolate dipped cheesecake? Never heard of either of these. I'm not surprised. The first time I saw (definitely didn't try) a fried Twinkie I was shocked LOL

    Love the photos :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those photos of the kids are just priceless!!!!

    Here is my T-13 Notable Irish
    [scroll down below my Thursday Thunks]

    ReplyDelete
  9. With all that yummy food, I must find me a rodeo! hehe! What a wonderful post!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those are some expensive animals! I can't imagine a $300,000 bull. Yikes. And I am a farmer with cows!

    ReplyDelete
  11. The pig races are so fun! Those little guys really can move.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Chocolate dipped cheesecake? I so didn't need to know this existed lol Fun list!
    Happy T13!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This sounds like such a good time. Fried Oreos? Oh my goodness...I'd have to advoid those. Yum...Enjoy your time there.

    Thank you for your kind words and prayers. They mean soo much to me. Have a great day.

    Hugs, Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  14. That sounds like SO much fun! My husband is obsessed with moving to TX, so I better not show him this... We have lots of fairs around here, so I have tried the fried Oreos. They're ok, but I wouldn't mind trying that funnel cake sundae!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Chocolate dipped cheesecake sounds interesting!
    http://harrietandfriends.com/2010/03/should-a-2-timer-get-no-more-mail-on-saturdays/

    ReplyDelete
  16. I daresay there is NOT anything cuter than little cowboys and cowgirls. How very precious! I miss living out in farm country... :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. WOW the food sounds awesome I have never heard of those sounds like must trys, my aunt and uncle just moved to Texas I see a rodio in my future :-)

    ReplyDelete
  18. gotta love the rodeo! :) it really is a good time. we look forward to it, as well!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love the rodeo. Wish we were going this year!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh, you are making me miss Texas so much!!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. My daughter has those same pink boots! And fried Oreos? Are you serious??? YUM!!!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you think!