Thursday, March 18, 2010

Recommended Reads

  • Since announcing on this blog and in real life, our plans to adopt a child I've gotten several emails regarding adoption, which I love. Adoption has become a subject very near and dear to my heart. But there is one question I have gotten more than a couple times and really struggled with how to answer and that is, "I really want to adopt but my husband is not on board, what should I do?" I've struggled with it because I do believe in God's design that the husband is the head of the family and should lead in such key decisions. And I've struggled with it because adoption is a hard thing and just getting as far down the road of it as we have, I am so thankful it wasn't something I wanted more than my husband or talked him into. He actually made the 1st real step on his own. We'd talked countless hours on the subject over months and months, but when it came down to the initial contact with our adoption agency I didn't even know my husband had done it until I got an email from the agency with the message, "Congratulations on the completing the first step in your adoption!" And I was like, "Okay, I guess we're doing this!" Anyway, I apologize for avoiding this hard question but I've been praying about how to answer it and God lead me to this blog video.
  • There are benefits to roadtrips because I usually don't have much time to read beyond my weekly Bible studies, but I have read nearly the entire book Don't Waste Your Life in the past week and I seriously recommend it! John Piper will shatter many of your preconceived ideas on living a Godly life and he uses Scripture as his basis throughout the book.


Find more Friday Fragments and Finer Things Friday.

9 comments:

  1. The big family article is VERY interesting and surprising to me.

    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that's a tough question. You did the best you could.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It took a looong time for my husband to be on board. I prayed about it and avoided nagging or bringing it up. I told God that if He was really laying this on my heart (in our case foster parenting) then he had to work on my hubby's heart. Four years later (remember God's timing is not ours) we are in the application process.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi! Found you through Friday Fragments and would love to follow more of your story and journey but even after scrolling up and down a few times I can't seem to find a follow button. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great article about how large families are easier! I just found out that we are expecting #8, and I TOTALLY agree!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have been asked the same question. With a domestic adoption or international, it is a hard thing to address. I like to tell people there are so many ways to help children without adoption or fostering.
    For international, you can sponsor a child. Domestically, you can call your local Department of Child and Family Services and find out where the nearest home is that takes children in emergency situations, like in the middle of the night. Usually those children are taken from their homes with nothing. Some cannot take possessions or clothing due to drug exposure. It is such a blessing for them to have stuffed animals, pajamas, and clothing.
    That is always a good start and see what grows from there.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'll have to check those links out- thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That IS a tough question. Adoption isn't on our radar (yet) but I sure admire those who do it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That video is wonderful. I'm going to link to it on next week's FF. Thanks for sharing it :)

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you think!