Monday, September 7, 2009

Goodbye Summer!

We used the holiday today to have one last hurrah with summer. Goodbye summer, we have enjoyed every last bit of you! Really, does it get any better than a mixture of sand, chocolate chip cookies, and cheesy chips all over your face?

Yes, as a matter of fact it does.

Look at my 6 year old and 4 year old holding hands!

Watching my kids have the best of fun playing together will be what I remember most from this summer. My 6 year old summed it up a couple weeks ago as we drove home from the pool where he and his little sister had played together for 2 hours straight, "I like my sister!" he said.

We spent a lot of time together this summer. Fewer play dates, fewer camps, intentionally, so we could relax and enjoy less time running around and more time being together.

And it worked out mostly great. The kids fought a lot the first couple weeks of summer, but then it is like they worked it out and began playing together so well!

And now? I'm so behind on everything household related, but the memories of the summer being with my kids and allowing them so much time together, is so worth it!

And with the school year starting it is exciting to see the kids each getting a little world all their own in their perspective classes at school. A world where they are not the oldest, or the middle child, or the youngest. And then they can come home and share with each other the adventures of their day. I love hearing my son get in the car after school and eagerly ask his little sister what she did at preschool.

Yes Summer, you will be missed. But Fall? You're not too bad yourself. Afterall, it feels good to wear something besides a swimsuit or pajamas!

Find more Gratituesday here and What I Learned This Week here.

11 comments:

  1. We just said goodbye to Summer too. We had our last pool day yesterday. I recently found your blog and am enjoying it! I'm a new follower. I also have 3 kids. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. summer is way over from where i am. right now we have typhoons. =(

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am sad to see it go, but I love fall! These pictures are SO cute!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So sweet! We had an intentionally low key summer too, it was awesome! It is so good to hear about the kids building their bonds! Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know what you mean. I am eager to put on my comfy sweatshirt and favorite pants. WE too kept to ourselves most of the summer enjoying our lake retreat that we bought last year. It was a great summer.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awww, how sweet is the holding hands picture? It sounds like you had a great summer but you are right, fall will have wonderful times too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, it just went way too fast this year! Cute pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Isn't it wonderful when the kids get on!

    I love to see my 3 playing together, and the beach seems to bring out the best sibling love in them too :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Our last weekend of summer was much like the summer itself. Unusually cool, in the 60's, and rainy. Too cool most of the summer for our favorite past time...hanging out in the backyard by the pool. I always love fall but I am sorry to see summer go before we even got to have one. But we did have a lot of fun and make a lot of memories...what more can you ask for than that?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gorgeous photos! I feel the same. I wasn't quite ready to give up summer, but fall is looking pretty nice right about now.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you think!