Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Need

My toddler's new favorite phrase is "Mommy I need you!" with the middle "e" sound especially drawn out for effect.

He sounds so pitiful when he says it, that at first I would respond immediately whenever I heard it. And I wanted him to know I was there for him in his time of need.

But then I began to notice that the times he used that phrase were usually the times he really didn't need my attention, like when his daddy had put him in time-out and he began yelling, "MOMMY I NEEEEEED YOU!"

He did not need me at that moment. What he needed was to serve his 2 minute time-out and perhaps dwell on the fact that throwing toys does not lead to fun consequences.

I also noticed that the times he really did
need me he did not say, "Mommy I need you!" Like right before he fell off the back of the couch or hit his sister or began applying my makeup.

And it all got me thinking how often I don't call on God when I should, how often the things I think I need His help with are really not the important things at all.

I know I've prayed for God to rescue me from a "time-out" or two in my life.

Thankfully, Matt 6:8 says, ". . .your Father knows what you need, before you ask Him."

"Let us therefore draw near with confidence to the throne of grace, that we may receive mercy and may find grace to help in time of need." Heb 4:16

Find more Thankful Thursday here.

10 comments:

  1. WOW! What a wonderful and thought provoking post! Thank you for this today.

    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful words spoken and so true! Makes me wonder if when I ask my Father for things if it is whining sounding to Him or sincere from my heart. I pray I can humble myself before Him and ask with the right heart. Happy TT!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post! Now, you've got me thinking ...

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are so right! And btw, my little guy used to say the same thing...for the same reasons! Lol!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amen sister!
    What a good devotion that encourages me tonight! Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So important to check our motives before we approach the Throne. God bless!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautifully said. What a GOOD analogy! Thank you for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for sharing about the chaos of mothering with a great sense of humor!

    I am hosting an online Bible study for MOMS on the book of Ephesians called High Stepping in Heavenly Places. Please consider joining us for this 10-week beginning today, Sept. 24, t;o study the book of Ephesians. And tell all your mommy friends to join in. For details go to http://jeanstockdale.typepad. Blessings.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you think!