Thursday, September 10, 2009

Sometimes Life is Random

1.
There was a Silly Putty incident here a few hours ago. To make a long story short I was finishing up dinner, husband came home from a work meeting and we were talking about the day, and somehow during that 6 minute period of time the kids found purple Silly Putty I didn't know we had, coated one carpeted stair with it and the front of my daughter's dress. After dinner I did a Google Blog Search on "how to get out silly putty" and instantly found this blog with the magic answer -- Hand sanitizer! It worked like a charm! Who knew? Another mom who has been through it, that's who! Reason #10003 why I love the Internet and blogs!

2.
Remember this blog post of mine about my toddler locking my daughter and I out of the house and us having to break in by my jumping the fence and sending my daughter in through the doggie door to unlock the house? Well, you'll be glad to know that I did get to thinking, "Hmmm, maybe a burglar could get in that way, too!" And so, I tried to enter my house through the doggie door myself. I couldn't do it. I could get my head and one shoulder in but not for the life of me would that other shoulder fit. In hindsight I should have stationed one of the kids to take pictures of me trying to fit through the doggie door, but sadly I failed you Internet friends on that fun spectacle! Now, I rest easy at night knowing only a burglar under the age of 8 or 9 could possibly break in through the doggie door!

3.
Oh, and I posted this week about my husband's pat rat ways. And it turns out many of you out there are married to pack rats, too! You might like to learn this little bit of science, the pack rat is a real living type of animal and its nest is called a midden; the pack rat is known for gathering tons of "treasure" to bring back to its midden creating an ever expanding mess! Sounds just like my house!

4.
Yes, it is only a couple weeks into the school year and already the papers and artwork are threatening to engulf the place! I am going to have to sit down with my 4 year old daughter and come up with a game plan about managing the creations once they are created. She is much more the artist than her older brother who only brought something home from preschool once a week or so. My daughter is averaging 2 or 3 per day! We're not just talking paper, either. There are actual sculptures, too! She is so proud of all of them I don't have the heart to throw them away!

5.
I finally made this bread from Art's Chili and it is really pretty easy. I was able to do it on the first try so that is saying a ton and it is amazingly good! Seriously, go make it right now, you'll be hooked! Made-from-scratch-in-my-own-kitchen is a finer thing!

6.
I loved this hilarious article in Parenting Magazine on being a chronically late parent. It got me thinking about how much more I tended to run late before having my 3rd child. It is totally counter-intuitive that adding a 3 child would make me a more prompt person, but it did. There was a breaking point day early on in my 3 kidness (yes, I did just create that word; definition: the state of having 3 kids) when I was hustling my 4 year old into his swim lessons while juggling an infant carrier containing my 2 month old son and carrying his crying not-yet-2 year old sister. Shoes and pacifiers and car keys and towels and snacks were spewing out of my bag as we raced into the lessons to be 15 minutes late for a 30 minute lesson! The effort and stress was so not worth the result and I learned there is no way to hurry 3 children -- 1 or 2, maybe, but there is no way you are getting anywhere fast with 3 kids! And so now, I plan ahead better, leave earlier, allow a time cushion for the last-minute-cup-of-water-for-the-road requests and tears over scraped knees somehow acquired while entering the car. I really can't remember the last time we were late to swim lessons or school, and life is definitely more peaceful!

7.
Does this shirt make me look pregnant? I have been seeing this style of empire waist tunic-type shirts for a couple years now, since right after my 3rd child was born. Although I think they're cute, I haven't bought one before because it reminded me too much of maternity clothes. Recently I found this shirt and couldn't resist its adorableness or the low price. But I wore it today to a Bible study and after having 3 kids in just over 4 years and my youngest now being 2 years old, I worried they'd all be wondering, "Maybe she's pregnant?" So, for anyone that saw me today, the answer is "NO!"
Happy Friday everyone!

Find more Finer Things Friday at The Finer Things in Life, Hooked on Fridays at Hooked on Houses, 7 Quick Takes Friday at Conversion Diary.

13 comments:

  1. That's a super cute shirt! But, you're right, I always worry about people thinking I'm pregnant in some of those more flowing tunic types of shirts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE the shirt. I worry about the same thing... but you're skinny, so you don't have to worry about it. :)

    I actually wondered about the 'easily breaking in' thing after reading your post. Glad to know you're safe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great top! Where did you find it? Seriously, I wouldn't worry. You look great!

    As for #4, tell me if you find a solution. I'm drowning in a sea of paint and pipe cleaners over here!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You look adorable and very not pregnant in that shirt. We are going to wonder about #4 no matter what you wear!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think that shirt is really cute, but in the back of my head I always hear my uncle telling my cousin and I we looked pregnant wearing shirts like that. Oh well, when you have 3 or more kids I think people are always looking at your belly to see if you're expecting again. :)

    Google is so cool, I wonder how we ever did anything without it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. First, it was the fourth child that made me always run late, I am usually ridiculously prompt.

    Second, cook to know their is an acutaly pack rat beside my husband that is.

    Third, it's sad but in my city there are some 8 & 9 yr old robbers...my husband deals with them daily as a police officer.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lol! I've not gotten a shirt like that for the same reason! But that one is super cute, and I can honestly say, you look great in it. Not pregnant at all! :)

    In fact wearing it, when you already have three kids, would be a sure indicator to we moms that you are definitely NOT pregnant. Because we who are moms of multiple kids know how much we would try to hide it if we were! (At least from ourselves!)Lol!

    ReplyDelete
  8. As thin and gorgeous as you are? Uh, no one is going to think you're pregnant. Now me? I wouldn't dare wear something like that! Darling on you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a cute shirt! I need to go shopping...

    I was totally inspired by your 3 kidness timeliness. I canNOT seem to get anywhere on time, and it's really all my fault. I go to check one more email or read one more blog or put away a few more clean clothes, and before I know it, I'm rushing around crazy late, yelling at the kids for dawdling. Ugh. I've GOT to do better at this.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Number 2 had me laughing out loud!! That is hilarious that you tried to go through that. :) And number 7 just makes you look beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I can't do shirts like that, either. I caved and bough one last spring (it's super hard to find ANY appropriate blouses in our area) and I'm pretty thin, but I caught several people looking at me "like that." Grrrrr

    ReplyDelete
  12. I LOVE your blog! I really like your sense of humor. I'm also happy to find that bread recipe from Art's Chili. Gonna try it right away!

    You're invited to join me:

    www.heavenlyhumor.blogspot. com

    For some laughs and God time...

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you think!