Sunday, February 15, 2009

Sunday Scripture Sharing - Family Devotional #7

Before I get into this week's devotional, if you did not do last week's Devotional #6. I'd really encourage you to do it. Even though Valentine's Day is over, all year long we should be working on saying kind things to others, especially those who live in our own homes! I will admit that last Sunday was busy for me and the kids acted terrible during dinner and after dinner when we would normally do the devotional I told my husband I just didn't have the energy. I didn't feel like doing it, like trying to teach kids who were just being silly. But, he encouraged me that we should and I was so blessed. I was blown away by how much the kids enjoyed and got into the process of writing nice things about each other! They were so enthusiastic about it, my 3 year-old even wanted to write one for the dog!

Today's Topic is:

God will never leave you

Introduction
What does it mean if someone leaves you? (possible answers are "they go away" or "you don't see them anymore") Sometimes somebody leaves and you don't notice right away, but then when you need them you'll suddenly notice they are gone and miss them. How would you feel if you knew there was someone who would never leave you, no matter what you do or where you go?


Activity
Set various items on a tray or cookie sheet (like a small stuffed animal, a paper clip, a toothbrush, a small piece of colored paper, an eraser, a clothespin, etc.). Ask the children to look carefully at all the items, then take the tray away and remove one item. Come back and ask them to tell which object left. Repeat one item at a time until everything is gone.

Scripture

1 Samuel 12:22, "The Lord will not abandon His people"

Psalms 94:14, "The Lord will not abandon His people."

Discussion
Abandon is another word for leave. So the Bible is telling us that God (or the Lord) will not leave us! We are His people if we believe in Him and He does not abandon His people. Isn't that awesome! No matter what, God will never leave us, like all the things on the tray. Sometimes it may feel like the Lord has left you, maybe if something bad happens, but He is there even in the bad times. You can talk to Him by praying any time you want.

Prayer
Dear God, thank you that you will never leave us. Help us to remember that we can always talk to you when we are happy, scared, sad, worried, lonely or anytime! Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear what you think!