Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Adoption-Related Issues

It's now been 9 months since we brought our daughter home from Ethiopia, I still stand by what has been my quick and true summary of bringing her into our family: "She's doing amazingly well!  Things have gone better than we expected!  God has done a tremendous work in her life and ours!  But that doesn't mean we don't have issues, we do.  That doesn't mean it isn't hard, it is."

I believe all kids have issues and adopted children just have more complication to their issues.  I know parenting is tricky and parenting a child who joined your family through adoption is extra tricky!

I am very much still in the fog of it all and have no great wisdom to share at this point, but Kristen Howerton from Rage Against the Minivan had a great blog post recently: alerting teachers to adoption-related issues: how much do you divulge, and when?  The article is an interesting read is an accurate glimpse into a few of the day to day issues adoptive families face.  I can relate to a lot of what she said, especially the "trifecta of attachment-related drama" she talked about!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear what you think!